Ebay - Items Ending Early Whinge

NeilM":5cq27zym said:
I guess I must the odd one out here then, as I kind of use ebay as an online.. erm, sort of ....auction site.

I'm obviously doing it all wrong. :roll:

I agree with this.

If you want to sell it for a set amount, put the best offer on. I watch loads just to keep track of whats worth and wishlisting things etc, and I reckon 20% of stuff ends early.

What about the role reversal then ?

Your selling a 1,000 quid bike..you know ebay will take 100

then someone pm's you and says hey buddy I'll give you a grand now..no ebay fees

do you say ..no it's against my principles as I hate others that cancel early or do you go hooorahhhhh buddy lets crack on with the deal?

How is a sniper unfair?

You bid the max you want to pay, a sniper does the same. Whoever pit the higher amount in is going to win. Can't see fairer than that.

As for ending early, I think people should moan to ebay about the situation. If their final value fees were lower I would be more inclined to let my auctions run .

They are shooting themselves in the foot with their final value fees. My monthly invoice is usually around 300 quid. If I can reduce that by ending early, I will

What makes me laugh is people saying "cash payment only due to horrific paypal fees" I really think people see the paypal percentage as being the hard part, not the ebay fees

I think Ebay is a phonomena you've got to get used to. Calling it the auction site does misrepresent a lot of what goes on. As was said above 20% of items must be ending early.

I've bought and sold a fair bit on Ebay. As a seller, I've been guilty of ending items because I've had a good offer. Normally I only do this within the first 2/3 days of the auction, after that I let it run. I know it is really annoying when something ends near the end of the auction.

If I'm looking to buy something I usually ask the seller if they are going to let the auction run, although its no guarantee. If I really want something I make an offer. When I'm selling I hate annoying messages of 'what will you take for it?' You want it, make an offer!!!

Between Ebay and Paypal the seller loses about 13% which a lot of people complain about. With bike sales I always think with good photo's and a well laid out listing you'll get 40/50% more off an Ebay sale than you will anywhere else. So the fees have never bothered me.

I am the other way round with offers, you are the seller, you are the one in control so you name the price. The whole "make me an offer" thing annoys me to the point where I just don't bother. It just says to me "lets see if you are prepared to pay more than I am expecting"

The only time I ever ask for am offer is if I genuinely have no idea what something is worth, and I explain that too.

What really gets me annoyed is when a seller lists an item with the 'make offer' option but then rather than simply decline the offer you have made they just let it lapse after the 48hrs has expired, what is that about?

lewis1641":3nowwray said:
I am the other way round with offers, you are the seller, you are the one in control so you name the price. The whole "make me an offer" thing annoys me to the point where I just don't bother. It just says to me "lets see if you are prepared to pay more than I am expecting"

The only time I ever ask for am offer is if I genuinely have no idea what something is worth, and I explain that too.

I understand what you are saying, but the whole point of an auction listing is that there is no price, it will be determined by the buyers at auction. Therefore, if you want to buy an item before the end of the auction, I think its down to the buyer to make an offer.

Maybe Ebay should tighten up on an obvious loophole.

retrocomeback":10xdevk5 said:
What really gets me annoyed is when a seller lists an item with the 'make offer' option but then rather than simply decline the offer you have made they just let it lapse after the 48hrs has expired, what is that about?

I've not had that happen but its got to be down to being a lazy sh*t. The seller can set the listing to automatically decline offers they will not accept. If its not automatically declined then the seller should respond. If they don't their probably best avoided.

Back