what the hell happened to my fave singletrack?

Iwasgoodonce":3dft6oom said:
The Government plan to reclaim historic and unused tracks/paths and get them on the definitive map....has just been scrapped.

They spent a lot of money on research etc, and recaimed exactly 0.000 miles.

Good!

Because regardless of what they said the aim was, what was actually happening was that ancient rights of way were being downgraded. (Green lanes became bridleways, bridleways - footpaths etc.)

cherrybomb":1fywlolq said:
Iwasgoodonce":1fywlolq said:
The Government plan to reclaim historic and unused tracks/paths and get them on the definitive map....has just been scrapped.

They spent a lot of money on research etc, and recaimed exactly 0.000 miles.

Good!

Because regardless of what they said the aim was, what was actually happening was that ancient rights of way were being downgraded. (Green lanes became bridleways, bridleways - footpaths etc.)
only if landowners are better at representing their own interests than landusers, and if that's the case whose fault is it?

the local authority access officers that I've met have seemed genuinely in favour of improving access, but what can happen is that a landowner wants to downgrade a trail, claims that there is no recent history of use other than by walkers, the equestrians confirm they don't use it and the LA needs biking contacts to confirm recent use but has no contacts to get evidence from because mountain bikers are so disorganised and whatever the CTC might claim, they're not interested in 'off-road'.

My $0.02.

I own a bikes, a car, a dog.

If I am walking my dog (english cocker spaniel) off the lead (in a rural setting, not in a park, I'm talking lanes and fields) I try to keep him close and 'under control' but I am realistic enough to know that off the lead is not really under control, more under supervision. Heis 6 and has never bitten anything or anyone and has no interest in bikes or runners, if he did he would be on a lead all the time. If he doesn't come back and gets squashed by a car I am prepared to accept it. The quality of life he gets by being 'free-er' is worth the risk. (p.s. if he poops anywhere some wheel may roll or foot may tread it gets scooped)

When I am on my bike the dog stays home. There are certain farms I will not ride past as the dogs are 'chasers' and would gladly carry a 'humane killer' (like a Colt Desert Eagle) to deal with them.
Dog s**t on paths is a pet hate, as is the latest irritating trend of scooping it into a bag, then leaving the bag in a hedgerow. Who the F**k do these F**kwits think cleans up the countryside???? :evil:

In my car I drive fast when I can, but never faster than I can stop in the distance I can see. If I hit a dog. Tough.

Not perfect but hey, who is? :D

Aw well, such is life mate. A bit like when the government states that an area of land is "greenbelt" and can't be built upon - then changes it's mind when some property developer offers enough cash - like Titnore woods down the road.

I suppose if you're in that area, you could take an afternoon out and do the Devils Dyke run - plenty of fun! Just watch out for the dog-walkers :?.. To be fair to 'em, the only time i hit a dog (Chanctonbury Ring, years ago) it ran straight into my Cone's front wheel, i stopped and apologised but the old lady just laughed and said " that's the last time he'll run into a bicycle". Say no more ;)

Latest posts

Back