Cars. Meh.

hamster":1ibu3fp5 said:
highlandsflyer":1ibu3fp5 said:
Ach, you can pick up a Golf for £1500 that will see you right for a couple of years. Cheap as chips.

True: my ancient Saab 9000 did exactly that - but it's a different thing when your wife has to drive it with two young children - breakdowns are less fun if it's your only car.

Exactly why my wife is driving a 1990 Pajero.

Got rid of her 'modern' a while back, thanks to warranty running out.

No reason a 'modern', like for like, is any more reliable than a ten year old low mileage Golf.

:)

Buy a Japanese hunk of junk.
We bought a £500 Honda civic while I was trying to find a replacement engine for our 'shopping trolley on steroids' (mk2 golf 16v) It was meant to be a stopgap for a few weeks with a view to moving it on when the golf was fixed.

That was nearly 2 years ago an we've still got it!

40mpg round town, 60+mpg on long motorway trips, cheapish tax, in the first 18months we had it, it needed only a £30 exhaust section replacing, an oil change and some petrol putting in it wvery couple of weeks or so.
Been brilliant.
(PS it drives like crap compared to the golf, but you can't have everything ;) )

There are bargains out there..

I paid £700 for our Trooper 5 years ago (when they were fetching near double that) and a year ago we bought a Y2K Zafira (7-seater) for £500.

Absolutely nowt wrong with it mechanically. Cosmetically it's got a few small dents but we don't care about that..

Last car I paid decent money for was the £7k 635CSi in (I think) 1990

highlandsflyer":zt6faw4k said:
Ach, you can pick up a Golf for £1500 that will see you right for a couple of years. Cheap as chips.

Same here, the gf's has had the Pug 205GTI for nearly 8 years and it's worth the same now as what we paid for it! I think all the cars I've owned over the last 16 years i've sold for pretty much what I bought them for. I always buy older cars, sure they may be less efficient and cost more to run but it's much much less than the depreciation (and the interest on the loan) of a new(er) car.

I barely drive my car now....try and do everything online or the odd message at work using my works van that eats £200 of diesel per week!

But it gets me out into the countryside and on beaches and to meets...

I'm seriously thinking of a van next, with the rear converted for camping out, saving on hotels and will entice me out more in nice weather.

hamster":23kvtdyq said:
I keep fancying a Morris Minor - simple to fix and nowt complicated to go wrong...

There is a good argument for going properly old for simplicity, nearly new for warranty and all that without the huge depreciation etc., and avoiding middle aged cars with all the costly tech but none of the good old days reliability, but certain makes defy all that.

The Golf is a great car, if you avoid the boy racer or neglectful owner abused examples.

We bought two identical Pajeros, it cuts down on all the faff involved in maintaining them, and they are sodding old with little to go wrong, and even when they do go wrong you can still drive them home, or fetch it with the other.

When I picked up the first one, I asked a local where to get parts and such, as he had had his ten years. He replied, "I have no idea, never needed anything but brakes done so far".

From experience with Land Rovers, Range Rovers and G-Wagens I would have to say this is the least expensive couple of years of motoring I have had for what we do with them.

There seems to be a thing now where people talk as though any car costing less than a few grand must be a wreck. It simply is not the case.

The scrappage scheme seems to have changed how people view 'cheap' cars, which is a shame as it is fairly environmentally benign to continue using old cars while they have life in them.

I will argue vociferously that a ten year old car, well maintained, will be every bit as reliable as a two year old with the same kind of mileage.

I reckon cars make wonderful servants but lousy masters - that said I'm rather fond of my old Volvo.

Latest posts

Back