Fog lights

i have seen several cars today, driven by middle aged men i add.......not spotty, adolescent boys, with lowered saxo's and window stickers saying 'im driving this fast 'cos i need a poo', who may have inadvertently knocked the switch on with uncontrollable erections having been brushed past by their home economics lecturer in half moon glasses at college......in cars that i know require action to switch fog lights on as they have mechanisms to self cancel when switched off, side lights on and front fog lights ablaze......the only logical explanation is that they think somehow other people are impressed......if the front fogs are intentionally on having experienced poor visibility and not subsequently switched off, then why do none of them display a rear fog light?.....

my route home is often in the dark, and in unlit lanes where i am often passed by single cars......in these circumstances the lights are bright enough to cause a problem......i'm not impressed!.....

i'm venting now are'nt i?.....

it might have been foggy where the driver was before you past him and he forgot to switch them off

it can be foggy on one road and clear on another just down the road

Have you tried modern fog lights in fog?

I have, on several different cars and they are absolutely useless, so I can only conclude that they are there for pose value only.

bigmick":1dq047lu said:
it might have been foggy where the driver was before you past him and he forgot to switch them off

That it can however I can count on the one hand the times I have had to use them in 20yrs of driving. And most times the fog is present you can still see past the distance required for them to be on.

NeilM":1zn3gad5 said:
Have you tried modern fog lights in fog?

I have, on several different cars and they are absolutely useless, so I can only conclude that they are there for pose value only.

Front fog lights are designed to show the 'road' directly in front of the car and show the curbs and edges when you are driving (which should be slowly) and the rear is so the driver behind can see a car in front. They are not to illuminate the distant road ahead.

<100m visibility is the legal requirement for you can turn them on.
This is part of the driving test.

That's why pensioners always drive with them turned on ;)

People also seem to like to use headlight in the rain when there is no need (in urban areas) as you can easily see cars around. Just stick the sidelights on so they can tell a moving car easier.
headlights and wet roads means people are dazzled and can see less of what is going on.

i got pulled for a 'moving traffic offence' when i had my fog lights on. probably used it as an excuse to pull me over as i had a car full of mates leaving a night club (i was sober as a judge being the designated driver) was subsequently breathalised (?) found clean, but still given a ticket for having the fogs on.
bit of a c*ntish thing to do really. didn't realise i had them on (it was a old astra and the switch is located below the steering wheel).
of course my excuse didnt work, blah blah blah, they tried talking to me like i was their mate but still treated me like i intended to drive around like that. sarcastic and patronising.

that's my general experience of the Police.
have had other brushes with the law too and had similar treatment.
i have nothing nice to say about the police really.
Apologies to any 'nice' coppers out there.

i turned that into a rant didn't i.
Sorry.
to bring it back on subject - no need for fog lights unless you live deep in the sticks and suffer bouts of thick fog on unlit roads.
anywhere else and its just unnecessary 99.99% of the time.

Lucky it was only a ticket you got. The rozzers can give you 3 points for having them on without reason. I normally find the clowns who do it switch them off when you drive behind them with full beam on.

bigmick":2ges5246 said:

Blow me! I just hadn't thought of that!

:)

They were coming out of town, and I am guessing they are the type who shoves them on given the slightest opportunity. Probably drove past some big windows to check the look too.

The whole point is they have a switch, on or off.

Just like your horn. You don't press the horn going into a blind corner, only to keep it hooting for the next twenty minutes.

Lock these jokers up, I say!

Back