Solution for front cable hanger - steerer tube too short

Slimtim

Retro Guru
I am putting together a bike for the winter. A nice steel frame with a 1" threaded steerer.

This isn't a purist retro build so I have used a modern 1" threaded headset with cartridge bearings.

The problem is that the steerer tube is only just long enough to take the top nut - there is no space for the hanger's collar.

Can anyone suggest an alternative solution? It would be ideal if there is somehting that would clamp onto the quill stem. I have had a look online and can't see an option.....

One solution would be to use an old style MTB stem that has the cable hanger attached, usually either a kind of pulley wheel arrangement or a hole drilled through the top of the stem.

I have here a hinged, clamp on cable hanger with a 1&1/8" internal diameter if that's of any use.

Adam

Adam, thanks for the offer of a clamp. I'll see how things go.

Shaun, i had thought about applying the drill but never having done it, what are the technique and risks? I only have a standard handdrill but do have a box of metal-specific drill bits.

Tim

IIRC one of the the GB courier stems came ready drilled ...........others were simply drilled through :)

http://hilarystone.com/images/sale%20im ... oyal-3.jpg

There is such a surfeit of metal it never seemed to make any dfference, the largish loking hole at the top is a countersink by the way.

Wouldn't like to do it by hand though,know anybody with a drill stand ?

Shaun

Don't try it by hand, your stem connects your handlebars to your bike so its pretty important you don't bugger it up (just to point out the obvious).

A local engineer should be able to do it pretty easy for you. I have a pillar drill here and the trickiest thing about jobs like this is finding a good way to clamp the item to be drilled.

Another way is to use an upstand type hanger which bolts through the fork crown using the hole for the front brake / mudguard.

Place a slim hanger where the washer would normally go between the top race and lock nut (if you have had to remove that then you'll probably find your headset comes loose more often. It does do a job.)

But if you don't mind raising your stem a bit then you can buy clamp on hanger. Tektro and others like that will probably make them. But at 22.2 diameter, you may/may not need to shim down a 25.4 one.

Have a look for what I mean
https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s ... 0QX5toHABg

Latest posts

Back