One of the most extraordinary physical accomplishments ever

Drewson":dqrbc4u3 said:
gtRTSdh":dqrbc4u3 said:
I think he has a type of mental condition, awkward with his words but able to shut off fear completely.

I have more respect for people who take precautions.

Do you respect the guy on the bike with the helmet or without a helmet?

He did say that the reason he free climbs is because he can literally climb freely....without the need to carry equipment and deal with ropes and carabinas, etc. Probably why he was able to climb the face so quickly. I guess it's the most natural way to climb, but very dangerous for many.

Certainly North Face are no mugs, we're talking about a North Face sponsored athlete wearing North Face gear that you can buy down your local high street. I don't think they would sponsor some chancer who might pop off any minute - certainly a lot of money went into that video and the Marketing opportunites for a successful ascent would be phenomenal. It might be hyperbole to suggest that the success of North Face rested on such an ascent.

What would be interesting is all the background research (bird scarers?)and the many times he did that route prior perhaps it'll be included in the dvd version.

There has been one documented death in Yosemite caused by soloing - perhaps climbers are extremely aware of their own limitations, only solo a route they've done many times and never on site solo.

It's human nature that we over-estimate our own skills and prior experience and under-estimate those of others (I am guilty of this) and this I think is the most dangerous aspect of climbing or indeed any activity.

Drewson":2crhf4uk said:
gtRTSdh":2crhf4uk said:
I think he has a type of mental condition, awkward with his words but able to shut off fear completely.

He did say that the reason he free climbs is because he can literally climb freely....without the need to carry equipment and deal with ropes and carabinas, etc. Probably why he was able to climb the face so quickly. I guess it's the most natural way to climb, but very dangerous for many.
I totally understand it's nicer climbing with no kit. I climbed a cliff two weekends ago bare feet in shorts and a shirt, got to about 15 feet & thought shouldn't be doing this, couldn't exactly climb down so had to carry on, the top was about 25ft. Most people prefer riding without a helmet including myself. . . He's obviously highly highly skilled, shame he's 99% going to an early grave, probably a virgin.

gtRTSdh":2swzfgex said:
Drewson":2swzfgex said:
gtRTSdh":2swzfgex said:

I totally understand it's nicer climbing with no kit. I climbed a cliff two weekends ago bare feet in shorts and a shirt, got to about 15 feet & thought shouldn't be doing this, couldn't exactly climb down so had to carry on, the top was about 25ft. Most people prefer riding without a helmet including myself. . . He's obviously highly highly skilled, shame he's 99% going to an early grave, probably a virgin.

'He's obviously highly highly skilled, shame he's 99% going to an early grave, probably a virgin'

Didn't Darwin have an award for that sort of thing.

thats what these guys are for

Attachments

• IMG_8939_American_Black_Vulture_ed_5_7_60.jpg
    IMG_8939_American_Black_Vulture_ed_5_7_60.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 205

Latest posts

Back