'It's like ultimate fighting with a rock'

that looks amazing

i have been watching a fwqw documentaries recently about mountain climbers, particularly everest and the north face of the eiger

what amazes me is the "selfishness" of the climbers, knowing how likely they are to die up there and still doing it.

it is really uncomfortable viewing sometimes but there is a real morbid fascination.

i wont link it but there is a clip on youtube where a group stumble upon a dying man in a howwoed out section of everest, feet away from the fixed ropes. it is the site of a well known corpe "green boots" sits. this guy is dying and the people just walk on by. i am not saying they did the wrong thing, far from it, but it must take a special type of person that can do that

my hands are so sweaty just watching that video (and in no way do i mean that in a dodgy way)

lewis1641":1u7thx8z said:
this guy is dying and the people just walk on by. i am not saying they did the wrong thing, far from it, but it must take a special type of person that can do that

Yep, a jerk. Plenty of them about though, I'm not so sure they're all that special, sadly!

ajm":az483gjw said:
lewis1641":az483gjw said:
this guy is dying and the people just walk on by. i am not saying they did the wrong thing, far from it, but it must take a special type of person that can do that

Yep, a jerk. Plenty of them about though, I'm not so sure they're all that special, sadly!

Not special just convinced of their own narrative - Mitchell and Webb sketch of SS officers just noticing the skulls on their caps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY

illustrating a certain mentality

I love climbing, can't do it anymore but still love it :D
Those are some of the most unbelievably fit people on the planet. Awesome feets of endurance and massive levels of commitment :shock:
Check out videos by Chris Sharma and also Leo Holding aswell :D

I can really appreciate their skill, fitness levels, tremendous strength, determination but I find it difficult to understand why they do it. It can't be the 'because it's there' answer that mountain climbers sometimes use can it? What makes them do it in the first place?

Back