vitus 979

philippa7

Retro Newbie
I've recently bought a vitus 979 with wheels with tubular rims. I want new wheels, but the rear drop out is spaced 126mm. Does anyone know how easy it is to find a rear wheel with 126mm spacing? i've been offered a wheel with mavic open 4 cd rim, sapim race spokes, a mavic 9007d hub and a new unused sachs freewheel. The price I've been offered is a little out of my price range, but if its really worth it, I'll go for it. Could anyone approximate would a good price for this wheel might be?

Many thanks

Wheels for 126mm OLD are still readily available: anything which accepts a screw-on freewheel.

I don't have the knowledge to put a price on the wheel you've been offered, although the components are all good quality; I would wildly guess around the £100 mark.

How much is being asked? What is your budget? Do you need a new freewheel? Sticking with tubs or switching to clinchers?

I've got some wheels and freewheels gathering dust: let me know what you're after and I'll see what I have.

I would sell the wheels that you have - they themselves could fetch a decent amount and fund clincher replacements. The rear wheel you have been offered sounds good quality, but I would bide your time and get a matching pair.

Cheers
Matt

Agree with Matt about the wheels, best to wait for a pair.
Are you going to try and build it to a theme...all mavic or campag, etc?
If the hubs on the wheels you have are ok, you could just replace the rims (assuming the spokes can be re-used, i.e. the correct length)

Mark

FWIW it's possible to respace a 130mm hub down to 126mm - if you then redish the rim accordingly - giving you the option of 8/9/10 speed. I have done this to a Vitus 787 myself.

Matt

Those are nice wheels :) nice headset on his other items but a tad expensive....

Nice find :D

Shaun

Back