Orange sub five

phlndrwd":2x5v9bov said:
hi jskdog,

regarding the post you made above on Sun May 22, 2011 4:57 pm.

in short, it sounds like i am in the same position you were with that orange sub5 as i am currently in with an orange patriot 2004. at least one (i haven't confirmed this on both yet) shock mount bolt holes is ovalised.

i love the frame too much to let it go. i too am considering drilling and i'm looking for something that would allow me to continue to use the existing 8mm bushing and bolt kit. how did you get on with your home-made bushes? what do they look like?

cheers,
phil

Hi Phil, the bushes were some plastic caps i had in the workshop (not got a clue what they were originally for?
The inner part of it needed reducing to fit inside the shock eye so it was a very rough and ready job but it worked brilliant, i mde sure I greased it before i put it in but never had any trouble with it. Your frame is easily fixable, I'm not 100% sure but if you do some looking around im pretty sure you will find some the correct size after you have drilled the hole out. Failing that you could ring around some engineering places and get some made.
Let us all know how you get on. Have you got any pics?

Sorry Phil it's been that long since I did it I've got the bikes mixed up!I made plastic bushes for the patriot but machined Ally ones for the sub 5, it took about an hour on a lathe (but I am terrible on them) so for a professional it would be a 20 min job for a set so I doubt it would cost much to get made up. Just jot down all the measurements (or take the bike in) and show a local engineer.

Back