The (retro!) Light Thread!

Dan W

Dirt Disciple
So...You've painstakingly trawled through catalogues assessing and amassing the precise period features for your trusty steed...

Though dammit the lights of that era just don't cut it weight nor illumination wise and if I'm riding trhe mean streets of London I'm not leaving anything to chance.

So...what does everyone use? I have a plasticy chromey light thing which looks the part frokmk a distance on another bike but at 4xAA's it's not featherweight...There's lots of capable bits on Deal Extreme but they're all a bit of an anachronism next to my eroica worthy build..

Any other ideas? And where do you attach it on the bike?!

I go for safety over history and on all my bikes I have the brightest flashing LED that my LBS had on the back, and a pretty good LED torch type light on the front.

Both are so that I can be seen, rather than for me to see with.

The rear light is on the seatpost on a couple of bikes and on the offside seat stay on a couple of others. The front light is on the handlebars on all of the fleet.

I'm just about to get some front winter lights for seeing with. I'm going to try the cheap as chips Chinese lights from the bay, that use CREE type LED's.

I still use Miller dynamos backed up with good quality Cateye LEDs in most cases.

Back