Is it worth building up a columbus sl z team frame to race?

warrior4life

Old School Hero
I've just come across a decent condition columbus sl lemond frame and fork in z team colours and I'm very tempted to use it as my race bike.
I currently have a giant tcr advanced (2010) with a sram force-red mix, Carbon bars and american classic wheels, It weighs just over 15 lbs.
I'm a bit bored with racing and I'm very tempted to put all the kit on the lemond and have a retro-new best bike.
Im not sure what weight to expect the lemond built to come in at?
My giant frame and fork weigh 1350-1400g

I know I'll need a quill to aheadset adapter, External BB.

What to do. What would you do?

I'd do it! The Lemond will be about 0.5-1kg heavier I reckon but what the hey it's not all about weight. Do it ride it and show us how it looks.

Well all it's really going to cost you is a bit of time. Give it a go and if it's not for you, sell anything you bought and put the bits back on the giant.

Go for it. I occasionally use my vintage Peugeot on club rides and give some of the carbon brigade a good run for their money.

(I also wind them up by saying their bikes may have cost a few grand but mines got better scrap value !)

If I had that frame I would also kit it out with modern parts. I intend doing the same with a older trek I now have.

Back