The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oldschoolfool":38tcv0yr said:
sylus":38tcv0yr said:
The fact it's a private listing and gone so high would see me agree with with brock.

Most in the know avoid these, on ebay people tend to buy it without much knowledge and get carried away with the "funky looks" then feel aggrieved when they try and resell it.

As to videos Pace..i think brock again is on the money. The price your asking isn't far of what most would expect for a minty but as you probably know the higher end bike sales are struggling with peoples money being tight.

I would hold tight on the price, be prepared to wait sometime for a buyer and if not sold by chrimbo then box and loft store until the avaliability of cash is better

yeah,those private listings always make me think shill bid,especially as he wants £750 for it!!
BTW i too got carried away with its funky looks,haha.maybe i should stick to mainstream...

:LOL: for £750 you could have that Overburys e-stay and a repaint from Argos, a proper decent e-stay. Those Kirks are heavy, bendy and not worth anything over £100 IMO.

Carl.

How much is my Bontager Or Race worth..

Hi there.. I have just joined your cool looking group in the hope you may be able to help me..

I do not MTB anymore & although it guts me to sell her.. she was my pride and joy when I built her.. I am looking to sell my Bontrager OR Race Complete with Bontrager Stiff Forks...

I originally purchased the frame & fork set through Jez & Sarah @ Global Fridge; one of the 1st framesets they imported (after NTI? lost the dealership).. I still have hundreds of pics of the build & test run in Thetford Forest.. (& owners manual & prob pics with Keith Bontrager too.. met him as was in the owners club)..

The Bike is still pretty much as I first built it (although did change a few bits.. & sold the original spd's to a mate some years back).. It has a Syncross Stem & Seatpost, Chris King Headset, Bontrager Ti Handlebars & Seat, XT Thumbshifters (never liked sti.. too expensive to replace if crashed) Dia Compe SS7's Levers, Bontrager Magnesium Bar Ends, XTR 8 speed Mech With XT 7 speed block, Suntour XC Pro Chainset with Custom Made Egg Chainrings (round ones.. not curved), Suntour XC Pro Front Mech, XTR Cantilevers, XT Hubs with Salsa Ti Skewers On (I think..will check..) Mavic Rims (can't rember what I ended up on.. had a few over the years.. but will check & update) & it did still have the old Specialized Hardpacks on it.. but unfortunatelyy.. looks like they've corroded with age
& to replace the SPD's I just chucked an old pair of LX cage pedals with clips & straps on it...

The frame is a Bontrager 15.5" (equivelent to most peoples 17.5" frames) & was made for the stiff forks that came with it (not a suspension model ) & I'm sure from memory the complete Bike weighed in @ about 23-24lbs

It cost somewhere in the region of £2,500 to build & I have absolutely no idea of it's current value.. The Bike (apart from the Tyres.. & 1 small impact dink in the rear rim) is still in EXCELLENT CONDITION.. I was never really a hardcore MTBer (although I had a Hardcore Bike capable of taking me anywhere..) & was NEVER really into the race thing.. much preferred spending a day somewhere cool & @ my own pace.. than blasting around for a few hours in a race, so the Bike was NEVER ABUSED.. as I said @ the begining.. She was (& still is really) my pride & joy.. Just seems a shame to leave her still sat there (doing nothing.. for many a year..) when somone out ther.. (perhaps you..) could have much more fun with her & do her some justice..

I do not necessarily expect to sell her on here.. but if anyone could give me ideas of her worth.. & where best to sell this beautiful MTB classic.. I'd very much appreciate it..

I do (as said) have hundreds of pics of her in her day & can happily take & post some of her now if anyone want's me to.. Oh.. almost forgot.. She is in a gorgeous Dark Metalic Purple they did with silver/black & yellow decals.. The Bontager Forks came in an anodized black..

If you require any more details, pics etc, then please do not hesitate to contact me.. I look forward to your help.. Many Thanks - Mark

hi BontragerOR, welcome.

it sounds like you have a very lovely Bonty there, i would firstly encourage you to keep her and cherish her - the spec sounds awesome.

i love mine - they always put a smile on my face when i ride them (or my family ride them)

and it would be rubbish of me to shark you and say yeah yeah, it's only worth 100/200 quid as a whole bike. The reality is (in my opinion) that you will get a lot more more splitting the whole bike into parts and ebaying it with a worldwide option for postage. you built it with some really cool parts which are sought after now, especially in the skinny 1" and 26.8 sizes that the Bonty needs.

But, do you really need to get rid?
Some pictures would be ace too.

looking for a price on these sram plasma grip shifts
IMG_1262.jpg

Hope hubs (and attached spokes and rims)

Some early Hope hub'ed wheels here. A front, a rear singlespeed and a rear with disc brake. Anything special here or just 'old wheels'? A Ritchey rim and the other two are FIR rims - one a ceramic. Nice, BITD...

hope_ritchey_ss_rearwheel_05.JPG

hope_ritchey_ss_rearwheel_04.JPG

hope_fir_frontwheel_05.JPG

hope_fir_disc_rearwheel_03.JPG

All down to condition really - front hope should fetch anything from £20 to £45 - depends a bit on the direction of the wind too

The single speed - never seen one so can't comment other than to say wow, cool. What width is it? more pics if possible

The rear one looks a little odd to me older spider on a newer hub - but with older logo, is there a date on it? Is that a though axle too? is it a screw on or a freehub?

Seen rears go from £35 right up to £75 for the older ones. If it is a through axle version I might be interested in it. more pics if possible

Check for cracks around the spoke holes, earlier ones were prone to this.

Pics and measurements, and pain...

Ok, first thing... I think there is a tiny crack in one flange of one hub, the front one. Other than that all seems ok. Scrutiny done. No dates on any hubs that I can see. Front is 100mm (make sense?), rear singlespeed hub is 62mm flange to flange and 130mm spacing I think. Rear is a cassette (7 speed, did it have a spacer so also take 8? too long ago for me to remember) and 135mm spacing I think. All eye along a ruler measurements - no calipers here. So not sure where that leaves me. I think price to sell is good but an eBay frenzy good if I have something very rare. Smiley here.

hope_casshub_rim.JPG

hope_casshub_1.JPG

hope_fronthub_rim.JPG

hope_fronthub_1.JPG

hope_casshub_2.JPG

hope_casshub_3.JPG

hope_casshub_4.JPG

hope_fronthub_rim2.JPG

hope_ssrearhub_1.JPG

hope_ssrearhub_2.JPG

hope_fronthub_2.JPG

hope_fronthub_3.JPG

hope_fronthub_4.JPG

Cracked one's value won't be much I'm afraid but it is more common anyway. Are you sure that is a crack?

I'm guessing the single speed hub is a road bike hub on a mtb rim - not that it makes much difference with hope - might be popular with retro ss guys.

On closer inspection the rear is as I expected a slightly newer hub and early bulb or xc I reckon - still good, though likely a steel freehub and might be less popular.

If you post them on ebay be sure to PM me a link and if the rear is for sale and you can decide on a price I like then PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back