Carlton Cobra

Midlife":cit0ofla said:
And while I remember the OLD for the rear was 126 and they came with large flange hubs..........
You got me thinking there, and I just realised that I misunderstood what an OLD is. I thought it was the total width of a hub, including the axle, but it's just the width from the locknuts. Lucky I didn't buy anything yet! :p

So when I'm looking for new wheels, I need a 126mm OLD hub for the rear, and a 96mm OLD hub for the front? Cool. I think I saw some of those..

The wheels are going to be my first upgrade, as the tires are completely wrecked, and it's got heavy steel rims. I dunno if I'll go for 27" or 700c.. it'll come down to what's cheapest, I expect.

I have limited shop choices when I get home from work, so I'm having to use Sainsburys J-cloth ripoffs as wire wool. They're doing an alright job so far! :)

if you have some oil around the place it does speed things up some. Looks like you've made some good progress anyway, nothing like getting stuck into a project.

Well, I've managed to get some progress in.. the rear fork is now 130mm wide, and properly aligned, and I've got all the components off, apart from the crank.

The crank is cottered, and is rather stuck. I added WD40 a couple of nights ago, got the hammer and some wood out this morning, and after much whacking with a hammer.. nowt but a slightly mashed cotter. :(

So, methinks.. I've got a ball joint separator - maybe that'll work! It might've done if it could get purchase, but it's designed for ball joints, and keeps slipping off. Tried a few things to keep it in place, but no joy.

Plan B - use a G clamp! No slippage..turn, turn, tu*CRACK* Two half clamps. :(

I'm gonna try heating up the cotter using a heat gun tomorrow, but I suspect this might be a job for the LBS! :?

The chrome restoration hasn't been going too well, either.. some bits have turned up lovely, but there's a lot of dinks where the chrome seems to have been chipped off, and there's a couple of big bits missing from the down tube. Might have to go for a re-coat!

Shame to repaint it as it will then become a sort of "nothing" frame rather than a true Carlton.

Carlton loved their chrome and played about with it endlessly, they said it was better than other peoples chrome and believe me if you looked at the chrome on the cars of the day (Austin spring to mind) I could believe them. They "suggested" that they laid down a layer of copper before the chrome but not sure about that LOL they also painted over chrome (the name defeats me) like a varnish and also had chrome (imichrome) decals.......class :)

As for the cotter pin, they are very soft (it's how they work) and what we did in the 70's was just drill the beggers out and if necessary throw away the cranks / spindle and start again.....

Shaun

Stuck cotters can be an absolute pain. If it wont budge at all leave it. I have one on a 68 Corsa, I left it in the end. Coca Cola left to soak can sometimes work, the heat approach may do the trick. Problem also with all chrome frames is that the finish can be damaged easily, some areas will come up better than others in a restoration - its the luck of the draw. Have you tried Autosolv metal polish or jewellers rouge?

Good luck with the crank, if it wont budge at all a Raleigh 3-pin type may come up on ebay. well worth a look.

Midlife":ovdophit said:
Shame to repaint it as it will then become a sort of "nothing" frame rather than a true Carlton.

Carlton loved their chrome and played about with it endlessly, they said it was better than other peoples chrome and believe me if you looked at the chrome on the cars of the day (Austin spring to mind) I could believe them. They "suggested" that they laid down a layer of copper before the chrome but not sure about that LOL they also painted over chrome (the name defeats me) like a varnish and also had chrome (imichrome) decals.......class :)

As for the cotter pin, they are very soft (it's how they work) and what we did in the 70's was just drill the beggers out and if necessary throw away the cranks / spindle and start again.....

Shaun

Acrylichrome.

Back