'94 Dawes Special Edition (no 10/250)

I'm afraid cameras lie all the time, especially with wide angle distortions.

9b311448.jpg

The depression would only be at the rear of the seat post where it emerges from the clamp ;) Only needs a fraction of a mil kink down there to put the seat back half an inch (it's about a foot away). Hard to spot looking at the post itself.

When you look down the post does it follow the line of the seat tube? My experience of lugged frames is they're rarely perfect.

But even I've bent a post on the minimum insert line before and I'm a featherweight!

By "mil" do you mean a thou which is one thousands if an inch or are you referring to mm?
Whichever you are referring to, a fraction of 1 unit will not produce the bend you are referring to.
Your sketch shows about an inch from the parallel line which would mean about a 5degree bend and that will be very noticeable with an engineering straight edge.
I'll get the lightbox and feeler gauges out if you really do not believe me...

Sorry, not trying to wind you up or make you paranoid :( Half an inch deflection over ~12 inches is ~2.5 degrees.

There's a visible/measurable angle in all photos from all directions, and it's much less where the saddle is set lower.

Call me mad but I'd want to know why. I've bent a post and frame/clamp riding with such a high saddle before so I probably notice/worry about it more than most.

Bike weighs 26lb 7oz in its current trim which is catalogue spec. It was sold as a 27lb bike.

Wouldn't have expected that, I thought it felt quite light and nimble.

Back