'94 Klein Fervor, Cumulous Grey....Updates/pics 07/29....

stumpjumper1990":1ydehnkm said:
Any specific parts you are looking for?

-Dia Compe SS5 mk2 canti-brake levers
-34t SS Chainrings for the LX cranks
-Light(er)weight wheelset-this will be MOSTLY for the road/light offroad and occasional mountain bike-type riding
-Flat bar, 25.4mm, minimum ~630mm, silver/polished preferable
-Front cable hanger 1"- I have one now but it's not nearly deep enough, the cable housing is jammed in at a bad angle between it and the stem, I have to run my quill higher than I like so it fits. So I need a hanger that has probably around a 1.5-2" drop.
-Lighter pedals, possibly some Suntour XC pro's....
-Ritchey 1" threadless front alu fork

I know there's more but I can't think of anything right now.

Well, a few weeks ago I had the idea to turn my Klein into a SS. I sold my '10 SE Stout a few months back and thought about why I did so. It was too damn heavy and really had no chance of being as light as I wanted it to be.

So fast forward to now.....I realized shortly after selling the Stout that I hadn't had this much fun riding since I was a kid. So I proceeded to rip off all of the stuff I had bought and built onto the Klein.

I decided than if it wasn't going to stay original, it was going to stay Retro to a degree.

Here it sits as of right now:

LX Cranks w/ 38T ring
KMC SS Chain
18T rear cog
XLR Tensioner(cheap and does its' job)
LX Canti's
Dia Compe PowerControl 7 levers
Tune Titanium skewers - wheels & seatpost
Ritchey ForceLite stem

The other stuff that is not mentioned is temporary, such as:

The Airlineone/Shimano wheels...i'm eyeballing some wheels on mtb-news BUT I think I wanna buy new. I gotta price on some Mavic crossride's for rim brakes. A good price for their weight of 1700g. If anyone has anything decent, then PM me. I'll also be picking up a set of Schwalbe tires suitable for road and light offroad riding. They have some good selections in the 450-500g range.

The whole mismatched mess up front....I wanna go MC1 or perhaps a threadless Ritchey fork if I can find one. The quill stem adapter w/ the threaded headset looks nasty and I wanna clean it up. I have a NOS Ritchey Forcelite bar on the way. Then i'll pick up some Ritchey grip as well(had them on my Stout and liked 'em).

I'm alwaya on the lookout for a set of DiaCompe ss5 levers. The PC7's are for grip-shift and will look a bit odd next to the skinny grips.

Onto the pics:

KleinSS1.jpg

KleinSS2.jpg

KleinSS4.jpg

KleinSS5.jpg

KleinSS6.jpg

KleinSS7.jpg

KleinSS8.jpg

KleinSS3.jpg

Constructive criticism is always welcome...

Well, I finally got around to installing some of the parts I had and was waiting for.

Cliffnotes 1st:

Pre-Purchase condition:
klein_fervor_1.jpg

klein_fervor_2.jpg

Confused:
Kleinsales3.jpg

KLEINSALE12.jpg

Getting there:
KleinSS1.jpg

KleinSS3.jpg

And to today...I had to ditch the LX cranks I had JUST bought because(unbeknownst or undisclosed at sale) they had a bad non-drive taper. I found a set of very good shape RaceFace standard 2x cranks. Also added a Middleburn 36t ring, kept the 18t rear and the KMC 9spd chain. I removed one link and got the tension just about right with the wheel sitting all the way up and ditched the spring loaded tensioner.

I picked up the DiaCompe SS5 Levers from another Retrobiker and the NOS Ritchey Forcelite bar from an mtb-news'er. The bar is 560mm and I typically like something a bit wider. I'll be keeping the lock-on grips. I run them about an inch over the end of the bar to widen the grip, an effective 50mm or so, it's just enough.

The MountainKing's weren't doing it on the street so I swapped on an old set of Forte's I had lying around. At 410g, they're a bit lighter than the Conti's.

updates7.jpg

updates9.jpg

updates10.jpg

updates11.jpg

updates12.jpg

updates13.jpg

updates14.jpg

updates15.jpg

updates16.jpg

BTW...see my sig....

The frame looks to be in great condition. Not a big fan of SS but this bike looks good.........but why don't put a decent pair of cantis on the bike? A true Klein deserves that. :) M737 or M900 cantis are available at reasonable prices.

.....and by the way. I believe that the Fervor will be more popular in the years to come. Now, some people believes that it's an inferior Klein....but it's not. I have one myself and they are greit bikes with the same well known quality and finish you find in other Kleins.

:)

mkaavin":n8ujgfqa said:
The frame looks to be in great condition. Not a big fan of SS but this bike looks good.........but why don't put a decent pair of cantis on the bike? A true Klein deserves that. :) M737 or M900 cantis are available at reasonable prices.

.....and by the way. I believe that the Fervor will be more popular in the years to come. Now, some people believes that it's an inferior Klein....but it's not. I have one myself and they are greit bikes with the same well known quality and finish you find in other Kleins.

They are Rascals without a paint choice. And Rascals were nothing but Top Guns with a paint choice. Go figure. And nice bike by the way. Oh and another vote for cantis.

longfinkillie":pel0r9tl said:
mkaavin":pel0r9tl said:

They are Rascals without a paint choice. And Rascals were nothing but Top Guns with a paint choice. Go figure. And nice bike by the way. Oh and another vote for cantis.

The guy who sold me the Fervor told me the same....that they really are Rascals. Well, as I said they are great bikes and true Kleins.

.....but I did not now that Top Gun was the same frame as Rascal and Fervor. Even more reason to like these frames.

longfinkillie":14q3wxba said:
mkaavin":14q3wxba said:
.....and since I also have an one inch MC1 I will proudly put this on the Fervor....

:-D

^This should have happened a long time ago :D (with pics!)

Well, the MC has to be painted first. The original paint looks terrible at the moment.....but no dents. :)

I'm also in the process of sourcing parts for both the Fervor and the Attitude and as you probably know it takes time......and money.

....but I promise to set up build threads for both bikes with progress pictures as soon as all parts are sourced.

Back