Pimp my (Kid's) ride...

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Okay, so i've been waiting to do this literally half my life & certainly long before my first-born came along (5 3/4 years ago). Building & customizing my Son's first MTB!

I started with a 2012 Scott Voltage JR 20 which comes with an alloy frame, v-brakes, suspension forks & a 6-speed drivetrain with Revo twist-shifter.

Mods (to date):

• - Rebuilt wheels with disc hubs, DT spokes (custom cut & rolled to length) & alloy nipples
    - Replaced v-brakes with Hayes cable discs
    - CK h/s
    - Flat bars with flipped stem

Pending mods:

• - Thomson stem & pillar
    - Kenda Small-Block 8 20 x 2.1's
    - Better forks?

Can't wait for him to get it dirty!!!!

e04ecebf.jpg

66b67d18.jpg

58b4e48c.jpg

saving weight is the best thing you can do. Weigh the bike - it's not at all uncommon for such bikes to weigh over 20lbs - possibly half your child's weight. Imagine riding a 70lb bike. :shock:

Personally I would bin the forks. They look the part but are heavy and do nothing, similarly swap out the BB to a light one like UN72.

For brake levers, make sure that the reach is right - most children struggle to squeeze the levers as their hands are small and not strong. But it looks like it has the brilliant Tektro levers for children as on Islabikes. The best cables you can find helps hugely.

Back