front mech cable running across chain stay, solutions?

I'm all for 'hotrodding' an older frame, but I have to say I wouldn't have fitted that mech to that frame; I just wouldn't be happy with that cable run, and there is no solution to the current set up issue... :?

I'm fairly sure a bottom swing M950 front mech was not made?

Just to clarify, the front mech is top swing / bottom pull. Clearly pulling a mech from the opposite direction it was manufactured for would not work :roll: without a frame pulley type thingamajig.

The cranks / hubs / shifters / front mech are all M950 8sp, the rear mech is a slightly later rapid rise XTR M95? with the rollalmajig type thing built on the back.

One of these might help if you have a screw in cable guide:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Bottom ... 375wt_1187

zm_med_wm_CC-ARP01.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
gtRTSdh":1la2ajis said:
I'm fairly sure a bottom swing M950 front mech was not made?

Just to clarify, the front mech is top swing / bottom pull. Clearly pulling a mech from the opposite direction it was manufactured for would not work :roll: without a frame pulley type thingamajig.

The cranks / hubs / shifters / front mech are all M950 8sp, the rear mech is a slightly later rapid rise XTR M95? with the rollalmajig type thing built on the back.

Not the M950 number, but in the M952 9 speed version series they made the M952 bottom swing version I would guess due to demand, and have done ever since.
Pictured here is the top and the bottom pull version of the M953, M952 mech at the bottom.
666015d1326401606-post-your-uber-v-m953.jpg

892029.jpg

Pete_MCC - one of those is on it's way to me, perfect solution.

Fluffy Chicken - the bottom swing mechs don't have the special split cage which is what makes it special, shame they couln't have made it work but I guess the pivots move in the wrong way.

gtRTSdh":b77ay0s9 said:
Pete_MCC - one of those is on it's way to me, perfect solution.

Fluffy Chicken - the bottom swing mechs don't have the special split cage which is what makes it special, shame they couln't have made it work but I guess the pivots move in the wrong way.

They don't but then they abandoned that idea for some reason on the next update (M960) and haven't gone back, probably too complicated, added weight and wasn't needed. Anyone know what reason where given at eh time for bottom swing not using it and the dropping of the design for M960?
Does look a neat solution, be interesting to see if you can give it a nice bend as well. Bit like you can alter the bend on v-brake noodles with some effort.

BB cable guide with tube arrived today, quite accpetable quality, moulded as one piece. It's made from quite rigid plastic and the tube is about 6mm dia with a 2.5mm hole through it, I'll probably have to cut the tube down as it's about 3" long but it should do the joba nd it should wear well as the wall thickness is about 2mm. Going to try fitting it now (yes instead of riding with my dodgy knee that I'm waiting to heal before anyone tells me to go out and ride)

Sounds good, I might have to get one myself. Can you heat it with a hairdrier to bend it to a better shape or is it flexible as it is?

Not really flexible, quite stiff, will bend a bit but not much, too much force on it would break the connection the the normal cable guide section.

Front mech now works perfectly with no fear of damaging the frame until it wears through after many years.

From underneath before chop.

dsc03234h.jpg

In situ.

dsc03236fn.jpg

Bike build so far: weighs 9.5Kg/21lb as is, so say +1lb for pedals and grips.

dsc03235n.jpg

Latest posts

Back