Marzocchi Z1/2/3 etc steerers...

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got a pair of Z2's that have served me well for many years, but due to a new headset, stem and frame combo, the steerer is now a smidge too short.

They are of the 2001/non bolt in variety...

Question is, I know that the steerers are supposed to be bonded in and not removable; but I have heard some stories about people managing to get them out and swap them. Is this possible, or does anyone have any experience?

Cheers
G

I am not convinced they are that difficult to do - you can send them to Windwave for £70/80 but One of the online bike shops were only going to charge £20/30 plus postage if I bought the steerer from them. They use a local engineering firm to do it.

Makes me think that you simply need access to large press and one of the fancy loctite adhesives.

I am probably going to have to do it soon...

Alternative is a Crank Bros headset and or a Spank Spike Stem.

I have seen this (pressing out and in), you need a press and some mounting tool/device. From my point it is a job for a mechanic, who knows to handle such jobs very well.

An alternative is to use a Bomber crown which can swap the steerer.
I might have some, but don't know from here without looking into my boxes ...

What steerer in detail do you need?

unkleGsif":2hke7xla said:
Got a pair of Z2's that have served me well for many years, but due to a new headset, stem and frame combo, the steerer is now a smidge too short.

They are of the 2001/non bolt in variety...

Question is, I know that the steerers are supposed to be bonded in and not removable; but I have heard some stories about people managing to get them out and swap them. Is this possible, or does anyone have any experience?

Cheers
G

Roughly 185mm alley steerer... but I'd need the stanchions as well, as they are pressed/bonded in to the crown

G

i have exactly the same problem with my z1 steerer. a chap on this very forum removed his by holding them upside down and smacking the steerer top into the garage floor. a very effective removal method! :LOL:

there are so many different types of crown set up. mine is not a removable steerer, but my stansions are bolt in.

Windwave did the steerer on my Z3 lights. Steerer, plus fitting plus postage came to £40. Cant knock it for that price really, and all turned around in under a week.

I am the chap who removed his 2001 Z1 steerer by smacking it into the garage floor :LOL:

I actually removed the fork last night as my new frame arrived (1999 FSR Elite) and i checked over the steerer/crown joint while it was off, it all looks tickety-boo! :cool:

Put a good few hundred miles on it now, a few 2 foot drops, and a sweet rocky high speed desent.

I feel its pretty safe :D

Whatleymeister":bxy8e1f1 said:
Windwave did the steerer on my Z3 lights. Steerer, plus fitting plus postage came to £40. Cant knock it for that price really, and all turned around in under a week.

a very very fair price considering crc want £40 for a steerer tube :?

Yep, looks like I'll be calling Windwave.
Cheapest I found online was £31 something, but even so.... Windwave are a bargain!

What I think I will do, is strip down both forks (Z2 and Z5), swap the crown/stanchion assemblies over if possible (Z2's creak a bit), get windwave to fit a new steerer, and repaint the lowers while they are being done.

Mrs will be getting a bike built for her in due course, so she can have the leftover bits, and I will paint the Z5's up in baby pink for her..... bless :LOL:

G

Back