Looking to move out of London... but where?

Emoco":2hveonzf said:
Why wouldn't I go near the river in Shrewsbury?

Because it's the river Severn, and it floods like nobodies business! My Mum and Stepdad live in a house which backs on to the river and their garden (which thankfully is a good few feet below their house) is regularly underwater :shock:

You'll get a nice little house/apartment for less than £700 in Shrewsbury - I looked at a couple myself before I moved to Penarth, and they were in the £450-£600 bracket :)

Maybe Shrewsbury is a good idea then. Do they mind outsiders there?

Seems like a good base, close to Wales, a couple of cities. Direct train to London, hopefully lots of local markets/farm for my veg intake.

Emoco":271vt079 said:
Maybe Shrewsbury is a good idea then. Do they mind outsiders there?

Seems like a good base, close to Wales, a couple of cities. Direct train to London, hopefully lots of local markets/farm for my veg intake.

It's a very friendly town with lots of very friendly pubs. Like any city, there are places best avoided (Greyfriars Bridge for example is a favourite haunt for the town tramps). There are regular markets and festivals (including the Ale Trail - a favourite of mine ;) ), and you've got a good rail link to London etc.

I can recommend a few pubs too - The Wheatsheaf, The Admiral Benbow, The Salopian, The Armory, The Dun Cow...... ;)

You're also only a stop away on the train from Church Stretton and the Long Mynd, which offer some great biking :)

Been looking on streeview and it seems a lot like Chester which I used to go to every weekend shopping years ago.

Googling Ale Trail now...

It's a very friendly town. Nearby Wellington hosts the occasion NF march to keep you entertained.

I got family across there and it is a nice part of the World, with some good riding.

Emoco":2jgkpo2l said:
Been looking on streeview and it seems a lot like Chester which I used to go to every weekend shopping years ago.

Googling Ale Trail now...

There are a few Ale Trails in and around Shrewsbury. They hold them in Ludlow and Bishops Castle too which aren't all that far away.

The Ludlow Food Festival (September) is well worth a visit too.. Ludlow has some nice watering holes ;)

Not much of pub fan usually but think that's because my local charges close to £5 for a pint :shock:

Emoco":2mjam5vi said:
Not much of pub fan usually but think that's because my local charges close to £5 for a pint :shock:

You can get 2 pints and 2 bags of crisps for a fiver in Shrewsbury if you go to the right place! ;)

Shropshire is nice, I liked it when I lived there; Albrighton but it's a bit from the sea, and I like being near the sea, what the hell was I thinking living in Oxford for ten years is another thing, but a Shire to think about, what about Devon, plenty of hilly stuff here to get you fit, either that or quit cycling as everywhere is hills.

Not near Wales, but have you thought about Derbyshire? Some of the best riding in the world here, and lots of property you could afford. There's a direct train from Derby to Kings Cross which takes a couple of hours.

Back