Orbit America

Rich, it's nice to know Orbit have some pedigree!

Tel, the holes in the dropouts are threaded and although they are flush on the inside, the outwards face has a lip around the edge as if to seat a washer...

As for the build, not much has happened yet. The Ian May will become a dedicated TT bike, the Peugeot will become a single speed/fixed "town" bike and as both are contributing parts to the Orbit there is some juggling to do: I don't drive so have to have at least one bike on the road.

The Ian May is in the workshop having the fixed cup threadlocked (Italian thread), when that comes out the Orbit can go in to have the Shimano cartridge BB out (to be replaced with a loose BB Chorus).

While it's in there, I'll also have the seat tube reamed and the rear cold set to 130mm. I decided that reaming the seat tube was my best bet as I already have a 27.2mm post and the cost of getting it reamed is about the same as what a new post would cost me.

Having precious little work at the moment, things won't be moving too fast.

Tel":302kpsj5 said:
RichT - could be an optical illusion but the seat tube on yours looks very steep!

It was!, & no way could I ride it nowadays - couldn't get nowhere near enough saddle set-back with that frame!!

The, 'yellow-bike', Dyna-Tech & Ridley are set up w-a-y back

Attachments

• Cycling. 2007. Yellow Bike. 1.JPG
    Cycling. 2007. Yellow Bike. 1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 897
  • Cycling. 2008. Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 2.JPG
    Cycling. 2008. Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 2.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 897
I had an America for a while last year, flogged it due to a seized BB leaving me unable to fit the nice Hope one I got off eBay in its place. :(

Nice frames though, mine also had a snazzy paint job (purple/silver) and it too had the same pointy seat lug and those rear dropouts, which could accept mudguard bolts and I've a feeling Orbit did a near-identical sport/training/winter model called the Pro which had the appropriate fork for guards but with the America main frame. I used to have a catalogue or two from factory visits (originally near the Merry Hill shopping centre, later based on the Peartree industrial estate) but don't know what became of those old brochures.

David

Latest posts

Back