SRAM XX1 details released

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just been reading about the imminent release of the much anticipated SRAM XX1 one by eleven speed drivetrain. I say imminent as in October apparently.

I have to say that despite the largest rear sprocket having an enormous 42 teeth, I am quite impressed by what SRAM have done with this.

As far as pricing is concerned, a figure of 1200 euros is floating around for the groupset. This doesn't include brakes or the special DT Swiss hub you'll need for the 10-42 cassette.
The rear mech is also pretty clever and for that price it probably should be.

There's more info and a video here: --> http://singletrackworld.com/2012/07/sra ... shes-xx-1/

Very swish stuff. I like the look fo the cassette and the chainring is interesting.
Looks like its going to be 2k plus?
Im annoyed how they act like 1x9 is new.
I have been running a single ring for years but have never yearned for a wider spread ratio. Clever though.
I bet it has its application but seems quite niche to me. No doubt it will be shoved down our throats.
Not for me thanks.

I don't want to be rude, but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, with added drawbacks.

I have yet to see my 3x10 XT group skip or misbahave under any circumstance. Even on our famous cobblestones it'll take anything, including powershifts at 20+ MPH and full-bore accelleration while the back end is hopping around.
Yes, a normal mech will make the chain bounce a fair bit in those situations, but it's only the passive side (the one that doesn't transfer any power) and the bottom pulley will keep it from jumping off the derailleur.

On top of that, a "1 x anything" system increases chain wear because the chain will only run straight on the middle gear. When you're in the lowest or highest gear, it'll be quite diagonal. You don't have that problem so often with a "2 x anything" or a "3 x anything" setup.

Also, it doesn't give the necessary range for all kinds of riding, which means you'll need to fit different chainrings depending on where you're going.

With a 28T front chainring, the XX1 has the same lowest gear as my XT set (24,32,42 and 11-36). However with that 28T front, it'll only have the equivalent of a 42/15 if you put it in the highest gear.
That's only 73.33% of a 42/11. So if you run out of gears going downhill at 30MPH with an XX1, the guy next to you on a 3x10 can do 40+ and still have the same granny gear as you do.

I'm a big fan of 1x set ups, but like Josh I've been running them for ages now. Nowt new about them. The likes.of Dirt have been banging on about it for years, but it is only in the last year or two that it has become trendy.

I can ride up most stuff with my 1x10 set up. I only miss more gears on mega long drags, or stupidly steep stuff. Occasionally I find the jumps between gears too much on my 11-36, but that may be just because I normally run smaller cassettes.

With regards to noise, I switched to Sram ages ago and found it better than Shimano at the time, although it seems they have over taken Sram now in the quiet stakes.

That 11 tooth cassette is going to cost crazy money. I also agree that its not really been issued to solve a problem, I think they just wanted to beat Shimano to the whole 11 speed thing after they lost the clutch race.

Along the same lines (flash new stuff we don't really need)...you could probably save a bit by dropping the SRAM cassette and DT hub by using the KCNC 11spd 11-38 that's on it's way:

Screenshot2012-07-05at134556.png
Screenshot2012-07-05at134609.png

They've got a shifter set in the pipeline, apparently...mechs look a bit electronic/CNC mix with rotating cams and drums instead of the usual parallelograms, but the shifters are definitely cable....
Only on CAD drawings so far, though:
Screenshot2012-07-05at134525.png

There's supposedly a 12 spd road system too :shock:

All the best,

I'm going to hang on for 12 speed I think. :roll:

I do wonder if with all this 10 and now 11 speed BS going on there is now a market for a decent, high quality, durable, no nonsense 8 or 9 speed drivetrain. If it were made by the likes of Hope or someone I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I agree. To move to 10/11 must surely suggest that there is nothing more to do with 9 speed tech wise so in should come the quality companies making superior parts?
And 10 speed hasnt even been around that long has it?!

They should have stopped at 8. I might send an email to Hope, maybe we all should. Or start a facebook group :LOL:

I actually posted a comment on Hope's facebook profile when I saw this a few weeks ago, something on the lines of "please don't let SRAM beat you to getting a 1X system on the market".

The Hope 9-36 system has been on the cards since Eurobike 2010 and still no sign of it.....

Back