Late 90s Colnago Tecnos. Rescued from the bin.

dfsdf

I too have just acquired a Tecnos very similar to yours (size/colour). I hadn't really planned on a Colnago but it was so cheap I couldn't really resist. Now I love the C-Record period esp Chorus and Record but wasn't convinced the older components would look right on a frame which I gather is from the 98-02 period. Looking at yours makes me rethink but I still have a slight niggle within the 'period correct' arena. I've since decided to spec mine out with 2000 Chorus with dual-pivot brakes, 9-speed drive chain & Ergo's & it still doesn't look quite right. It's your bike that has now made me ditch the straight forks in favour of the curved type. I'd be interested to know your thought process behind the build in this regard? Anyway, how's the ride? Mine is sweet, responsive & springy where it counts. This is the lightest steel bike I've ridden and it really does make a difference 7 am now very much hooked on the Colnago.

Likewise, I've just bought a 1980 Super as it was going cheap (sort of). Going to build it up with a '92 Athena groupset as it's good useable stuff and I've always liked the look of it. Not bothered about period correct at all. My Super frame seems very light and I'll weigh it before the build starts; haven't even got the BB and headset on it yet. So I've been reading this thread with interest.

Back in the early 90s I raced on a Super SL. It rode very nicely but weighed a ton (23lbs-ish). I managed a 21:11 in a 10 on the F1 on it, with a HED disc in the back and a 12 spoke Shamal in the front. I then had a 1999 Master for a while, and it was nice but just not quite right. I haven't actually ridden the Tecnos yet, but it's much lighter than either the Super or the Master. In fact, it still awaits cabling up and finishing, as I'm training for an Alps trip in late july and any spare time is taken up with getting miles in on my Scott CR1, which is kitted out with Dura Ace 10 speed, and weighs about 14lb with Ksyrium SLs.

Finished the build today. Here are the pics taken just before a ride:
IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

35 hilly miles and the bike was great.
I was going to fit a 90s C Record chainset, but the 172.5 cranks are bit short for me, so the 10 speed record one went on as the cranks are 177.5.
I aquired the bling simplex gold anodised retrofriction levers from france, as they are so much better to use than the crap Campag ones.
The bars are 65-44s, which I like, and the wheels are Record 8 speed hubs on SUP Reflex rims, shod with Veloflex Pave tyres.
The saddle will be replaced. Not only is it fugly, but not very comfortable either.
The Deltas are clearly a triumph of form over function. Pulling on the levers seems to open negotiations around slowing down, rather than stopping. God knows how the pro riders got down alpine descents with them fitted. Weinnman 500s have more stopping power. In fact, my foot on the front tyre does too.
Still, they are pretty.

Back