91 Specialized rockhopper, Karma Build.

rupeww

Retrobike Rider
I'm no expert on specialized bikes but I have been given this to restore for a friend who wants to use it again but is not too bothered about retro accuracy in the rebuild.

So basically its going to get built using spares from the shed that I otherwise probably wouldnt get round to using or selling.

I am just after a year, as I cant find it in any catalogues. Its a 7speed rockhopper comp with suntour XC-1 groupset.

And as I know nothing og suntour stuff can anyone relate that to an equivelant standard of shimano stuff? I have a bunch of lx400/500 stuff I can use on it. Its proper mingin and all the components are rusty/corroded so its pretty much only the frame that can be used.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 2,156
Thought you were branching out for a minute then mate!

Can't help but thought I'd book in to see some updates.

Ah, there it is, thanks. Not sure why I couldnt find it!!

So, if I fix it up with 400/500lx parts then I am effectivley downgrading it to a standard rockhopper?

The suntour parts are so far gone they cant be salvaged so if its going to have any kind of life then its gonna have to have whatever I have knocking around for spares, and once its running again my friend can up grade stuff if he wants.

I am in need of a stem for it, thats about all now, for a 1 inch stearer and preferably in black if anyone has one going spare?

Go for LX or DX from that period. Shouldn't be too hard to find!

I might have a Specialized stem in black for you. Have to check tomorrow!

I agree, but if I cant find it in my shed then its not going on it. I do have a few DX bits but they are saved for something else.

This is just a minimal cost recue, rather than a proper retro rebuild, I will try not to insult it too much but there is no funds for fancy parts just yet.

I'll get it built and then if I end up with better parts for it from other projects then I can have it back and upgrade it a bit if required, we'll see.

So far I have 400lx mechs and a 500lx crankset. The crankset is quite nice, its alloy rings not steel so a huge improvment on 400lx. I also have some crappy wheels that I have been meaning to sell and it can have those for now.

I didnt realise quite how "black" this bike is supposed to be which is a shame as I bought a silver headset instead of black.

A stem would be great if you have one, thanks.

coomber":3ueh34w8 said:
Thought you were branching out for a minute then mate!

Can't help but thought I'd book in to see some updates.

Yes, a bit of a diversion for me, but he had been told twice that its not worth fixing. I agree its not "worth" it but the frame is too good to go to waste, and so even though all the components are going to waste I can use up some stuff that otherwise wouldn't get used.

I did own an '88 hard rock, with U brake, between two saracens but it was the shortest owned bike I ever had, 2 months I think! I dont really remember riding it.

I'm not agains spending money on this project as the freind who owns it sell tree climbing equipment so we can easily trade without actuall £££, but the point is to re-use rather than throw away, he's a bit of a hippy!! So I am only buying in stuff that I have to, bearings, chains, cables etc, which are all normal service parts and would have been bought if this bike had been looked after.

Hopefully I will get to take it for a spin or even a retro ride before he gets it back.

Back