Cracked frame ??

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hello

Whilst checking over the old raleigh clubman 1985, i noticed some strange marks in the paint mainly on the chain stays, there are many of them on the bottom sections of the frame.

My first thoughts were :shock: :shock: Especially as i have just finished refurbing it, am i right in assuming they arent cracks in the frame, it looks like cracks in the paint where moisture may have got in.

The plan was to use the bike over the summer and then get it dipped and resprayed proffesionally.

Am i right to be worried ?

Any help appreciated, i know the pictures are not the best.

P6260310.jpg

P6260312.jpg

frame

Scrape some paint of and have a prod around with a bradawl. Its not going to hurt you having some touch up paint on it for the rest of summer but it could if the frame fails.
Regards
Peter

Re: frame

half cog":36opbxho said:
Scrape some paint of and have a prod around with a bradawl. Its not going to hurt you having some touch up paint on it for the rest of summer but it could if the frame fails.
Regards
Peter

Ill pluck up the courage to get the bradawl out, i rode it yesterday for a few miles and constantly worried about it crumpling :oops:

cracks

Bit worrying isn't it - where the mudguard bridge joins the stays is a classic failure point (when i worked in the raleigh dealership all the warranty frames cracked there). That being said, the cracks were always straight and 90 degrees to the ground, unlike yours. If its any consolation, we used to get muppets in who'd ridden around for ages like this, only noticing when the chainstay completely separated (and even then it didn't collapse as such!). Good luck!!

After a few deep breaths, i got the bradawl out and scraped away a cm squared section of the chainstays and underneath there was just shiny steel so it appears ok, its going into my LBS tomorrow for a service so ill get them to see just to make sure.

So not as bad as i thought, and a sleepless night over :D

So now i have a patch of bare metal, is it best to apply the touch up on its own or primer, rust inhibitor ?

My Buzz lo-pro had 'ripples' in the paint like that and it was fine underneath when blasted off. It's possibly the type of paint that goes like that under temperature extremes? Different co-efficient of expansion in the paint relative to the steel possibly?

A crack would be into the frame. Those are stick up from the frame. Probably a bit of rust. Don't let it take a hold though!

Rust does that with the 'tin worm' effect - the little areas of blistered paint and rust hole water and on it goes. When it looks awful get it blasted and repainted.

Back