My Merckx Corsa Extra

Bigfish

Old School Hero
Having owned a Motorola Corsa Extra in the 90s and using it for road racing and timetrialling, I subsequently sold it when I moved abroad in 2001.
Upon returning to the UK in 2003, I moved on to various plastic bikes, but often dreamed of once again getting another Merckx.
This one came up on Ebay in 2010, and I just had to have it.

IMG_0649.jpg

The groupset is all Dura Ace except the no-name seatpin and the Stronglight Delta headset.
Rims are Mach2 CD2 tubular.
The bars are 3ttt prima 1999s on a panto'd record stem. Tubing is New SLX.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Although this rides very nicely, the headtube is quite short for a 61cm frame, and the position is not quite right somehow. My other Merckx is not in quite the same condition, and although the seat tube is the same length, the head tube is longer and it rides a hell of a lot better. Probably because its Motorola c0loured....
I will detail that one in another thread.

Wow , I have nearly the same bike except Open 4CDs deda bars/stem and yellow Flite saddle !

Attachments

• blue merckx.jpg
    blue merckx.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 4,491
Very nice :D

I just bought an MXL in the same GAN colourway. Also have Corsa Extras in Motorola and Telekom colours, and a Molteni MXL and Corsa Max amongst others...

Andy

latman":2gjf56i3 said:
Wow , I have nearly the same bike except Open 4CDs deda bars/stem and yellow Flite saddle !
Looks pretty much identical, but with a longer head tube. I went out on mine the other night, all kitted out in my Gan clothing, and was a bit shocked at just how rigid and responsive the bike is. Despite being 8lb heavier than my Scott CR1, my Strava segment times were near enough the same as on the Scott.
makes you think.......

Here's the Motorola one. The pic was taken mid-winter, and the bike was built up with a mixture of 9 speed Dura-Ace and a Campag 10 speed record chainset. the carbon forks were fitted because I didn't have a threaded headset spare. The correct forks are now back in situ. Notice the Ay-Up lights etc. It rides like dream and is getting the 8 speed Dura-Ace kit from my Chas Roberts, which will be sold shortly.
IMG_0619.jpg
[/b]

Back