Wanted: UPDATE: poss Wheelset, Freewheel, gear levers

neuroportal

Retro Guru
<UPDATE>
Wotcha.

I have an offer of a wheel build which I will prob go for IF I can get replacement greaseport clips for the hubs or if someone knows of a handy alternative. They are first gen 600 shimano.

I also would need a block to go with it as the prongs on the existing one got a bit damaged when i took it off. I am not really au fait with 120mm OLD geared items, the stack height of the freewheel is 25mm. That sound right? The ration I would like is 13-22.

Still need a set of brake levers with band on. The existing are those lovely Suntour almost campy copies.

I have ordered the hoods for the brakes.
</UPDATE>

Wotcha.

Having finally picked up the MB, I now need a few parts.

Now this bike has done, maybe, 20 miles(?) in its build life which has resulted in varying depths of patina on parts.

Now it came with 700 tubs on Mavic rims on very early shimano hubs. The bearings on these hubs are excellent, however the spokes are galvanised jobs which are shot. So I am thinking of complete set of clinchers before getting them rebuilt onto some mavic clinchers. Since the rear mech is a 980 ite,, and the front is a record and the crank being a campy too on sugino mighty rings, I reckon a set of campy hubs circa 79/80 on clinchers would be ideal. If anyone has any? a 5 speed block would be spot on too if the wear is minimal.

I also need some french "Universal" hoods. I can get away with white, thought Tan would be far better. These are necessary. If I cannot get these then I will need some hoods for a set of drilled 600 levers I have circa 85.

A set of band on levers is also needed since the band on these is rather rusted up. (They are suntour). The levers themselves are fine, the band is rubbish.

This is a lucky find, I would like to keep it period looking as opposed to concors so would be nice to find good condition but not mint parts. Paintwork is, as far as I can tell, completely original and is in excellent nick considering it has just lived in various garages under the same owner for years before my uncle was given it, and hence to me.

Thanks for any help.

BTW - it has a set of campy pedals with the chrome (rusted) frame as opposed to the black. I would like to try and date this if anyone else knows. Again the bearings are fantastic, if not the outsides...

Ta much.

Ha! Yes - those. Dunno why I got them down in my head as French. I can see some for sale on ebay in the states, but I am coming to realise they are very hard to get hold of. The levers, apart from the usual alu patina, are immaculate. They are currently mated to a similar condition set of Weinmann 500s.

As for the block, that was in relation to the wheels. I am currently in discussion with a gent over rebuilding these wheels, in which case the block I have, which is effectively unused, will be fine.

This is the fine steed I have just gotton round to picking up...

blackberry%252520005.jpg

Very nice, one of Vernon's finest. I like M&B frames.

There is a guy in the States that makes Universal hoods and they are supposed to be OK. It is of course possible that the ones you are looking at could be the Italian ones I got as he was pricing in dollars.

See update at top!

Ned - Ordered some of those hoods. Looking forward to refurbing these levers.

Im trying so hard not to make this into a single speed...any tips on cleaning up old campy mechs? The front looks like the three hole campy narrow band record. Actually I should move this to the other thread......

Back