Budget steel weight weenie - Help me shave 500g

as a ex Weight Weenie (i saw the light) all i can say is don't get sucked in,
it's a bike, just ride it....but if i was looking to shed some weight, well.

wheels would defo have to go, next question would be what tyres are you fitting?
the brakes would have to go, they're almost 400g (planet x ultralites @200g)
a Ti bolt in the stem might save 20-30g, and maybe try a 9 sp chain
and one saving for free...remove the pedal weight, no manufacturer advertises bike weights with pedals

one weight that does interest me, do the forks (being threaded) have a steel steerer?

HenryWood":2qmfjgwn said:
I'm 6'2'' and 65kg so i am not planning on losing weight - rather gaining a stone or so.

Fair enough! I still say the frame is holding you back though.;)

I want to see this bike - will there be pictures when it's finished?

Mark.

I've picked some heavy tyres accidentally - wanted to use a free gatorskin i have, then bought an ultra race for the other one. Got light tubes (not latex)

pondlife":144ar2ms said:
one weight that does interest me, do the forks (being threaded) have a steel steerer?

Yep, the forks have a steel steerer - its very short though - maybe too short to use. I weighed them myself to get that weight.

I'll take off the pedal weight now. It'll make me feel better haha.

daccordimark":144ar2ms said:
I want to see this bike - will there be pictures when it's finished?

Mark.

Glad you're interested - i'll be sure to get some pictures when it's done.

Lose the gears. And you think I'm joking :D

Tyres will save you a lot of weight if you pick the right ones. Michelin Pro 3 or Schwalbe Ultremo are pretty light. Apparently you can shave 100g or so by using double-butted spokes instead of straight.

My Bob Jackson fixed-gear is around 8kg all in and I haven't used any particularly light components. I think my frame is lighter than yours though, in Columbus something or other.

You can get chains lighter than 310g easily, thats kinda heavy actually. You can get ones that are 250g.

Carbon 1" forks; you can get ones 100gs lighter than the ones you have currently

Several drop bars you can get that are under 215g, like scandium KCNC: http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P947/product

Also superlite CNC brake calipers at under 240g the pair: http://www.shinybikes.com/trp-r960-cnc- ... black.html

Cheaper ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230-GRAM-CNC- ... 27c78e7e6a

Thats about 400g saving just from the above.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
thanks otherself - ill keep those things in mind if i want to upgrade.

my bars were a tenner as opposed to 68 quid, so i'll take the 40g hit there

like the look of those ebay brakes tough.

7399809040_e8f51b62da_z.jpg

Ignore the saddle to bar drop - Im leaving it high for now so I only ever move it down. Don't wanna show any scratches.

Nearly there, could finish it if i had the lever boss cover for the down tube shifter.

You can change:

Chain: rotor ti 10 speed : 220g and super cheap

Cassete 10 speed ti : 120 g

Also that stem is heavy but where you can save a lot of grams it is in tires/tubes. You have tires for 140 grams and tubes for 50 grams.

Also pedals can save you some weight.

I'm fairly happy wit the weight at the moment. over time ill upgrade the brakes to some cnc stuff and put some rival or force on it.

can't really run ten speed yet cause the mechs etc are 8 speed.

Nice project.

So you're now 500g under 8kg at 7475g???

Thats a very light steel bike, been debating doing something similar myself just for the fun of it...

Back