Marin Muirwoods (approx 1991) - new stem / headset?

bikefly

Retro Newbie
Hi folks

Wondered if you could help a newbie wanting to get an old Marin Muirwoods ready to go back on the road after 15 years languishing in the garage! It looks just like the one in this photo (including saddle height).

It has been serviced but when I try it for size now (I'm probably a few inches taller than I was when I first got it!), although the saddle height will adjust to the right level, the handlebar position feels too low, so the riding angle is not very comfortable and I feel like I'm looking down towards the road rather than straight ahead.

I guess I can sort this by changing the stem / headset (?) for a longer one which will raise the handlebar a couple of inches? Unfortunately the current one includes a little wheel which the front brake cable runs through, so I will also need to sort that out when I replace it.

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer / retailer of decent part/s which would do the job, ideally in black to go with my groovy colour scheme? I have seen some adjustable ones but they look very big and clunky, it would be nice to get something as sleek as the original if possible. Where is the best place to buy?

I also have no idea what the measurements would be to ensure I get the right size part, is there anywhere I can get technical info for this bike?

Am planning to using the bike a couple of times a week in summer for an 8 mile each way commute. Am sure a sexy new hybrid would be better / lighter, but how do you reckon I will get on with this bike? Any tips on other things I will need to check / buy to make the experience a success? (recent biking experience = minimal / fitness = could do better!)

Thanks for your help (and thanks to chrisv40 for the borrowed photo!)

Attachments

• MMW.jpg
    MMW.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 768
Think its a 1 1/8th headset, so you need a quill stem in that size. Put a wanted ad up here for one with high rise and see what you get. Black is most popular colour, should get a decent enough one for a tenner or so.

As a commuter it will do a great job I'm sure. Slicks I would advise if mainly on the road or some narrow tyres. But it will be a blast.

Get some updates when you get it all up and going.

I expect after 15 years the tyres are knackered, you will be lucky to salvage the chain, but give everything a good soak in oil and grease everything and see what you can save.

Welcome to the site by the way. :D

defo 1.1/8". coomber has hit the nail on the head pretty much.

if you cant get one with a pulley wheel... canti hangers that mount on the quill shaft are available to replace that function.

if you pick up a stem without any sort of integrated cable stop, i have a silver and a black one spare(hanger) to get you up and running. riser bars would be a solution but aesthetically a crime ;)

cheers.

Latest posts

Back