Project P7 all done

Congrats on your first build :)

Couple of initial points. Firstly I'm not sure that front brake will work so well given you've used a headset mounted stop on a suspension fork. You need the brake cable to be stopped on the fork. Second the chain looks short, reckon you might struggle when you hit big / big.

Otherwise think with a few tweaks could be a fine build. My suggestions
-Lose the SPINs (goes for 90% of builds ;) )
-Lose the computer
-Put on either blackwall or skinwall tyres.
-Correct decals
-Lose the lights (for pics at least)
-Switch the rear mech to M737 XT or similar
-Set the forks up correctly.

Neil":2pgdw0gf said:
Putting aside everything else... I'm not getting why there's a brace in front of the brakes? The fork looks braced already, front and back, does it really need another, in front of the brakes?

Im guessing (And may be wrong) but the Orange Brace (Brake Booster) is there to brace the Canti Brakes & Brake Mounts, similar to if it was fitted to Rigid Forks, The PACE forks, by virtue of it being double Braced gives the owner the option of Front or Rear facing Cantis or V's. Although some PACE only come with one Brace, My RC38's have one Front Fitted Brace, but rearward mounted Brake Mounts, whilst my RC35's have a Rearward facing Brace and rearward mounts.

As for the bike, you are oviously pleased with it, and i am sure it will evolve from its current state, I do like mixing old and new, and i know it sometimes goes against the grain of the purists but why not? If you look at my 1994 C16R build, it does mix old and new, but for me works really well, It is still evolving and thats what makes Retrobiking good fun in my eyes. Keep things simple, using Anodised parts works well, but keep the shades the same, Decals keep to one which is applicable to the bike, On my 1994 C16R it is 1994 yet has the modern version of the graphics, just to give it a fresh look. I like the Spins, but not on this bike, just my opinion and not grounds to remove them, its up to you at the end of the day :) Anyway have a look at my C16R :)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1422876

Attachments

• c16rreborn4_389.jpg
    c16rreborn4_389.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 516
Jussa":1zxjkdnl said:
Neil":1zxjkdnl said:
Putting aside everything else... I'm not getting why there's a brace in front of the brakes? The fork looks braced already, front and back, does it really need another, in front of the brakes?
Im guessing (And may be wrong) but the Orange Brace (Brake Booster) is there to brace the Canti Brakes & Brake Mounts, similar to if it was fitted to Rigid Forks, The PACE forks, by virtue of it being double Braced gives the owner the option of Front or Rear facing Cantis or V's. Although some PACE only come with one Brace, My RC38's have one Front Fitted Brace, but rearward mounted Brake Mounts, whilst my RC35's have a Rearward facing Brace and rearward mounts.
I must be having a stupid moment - I'm still not getting it. There's a brace on the forks (well actually 2 - but just say there was one) why would you need another in front of the cantis? Especially given there's 2 on the forks already.

The brake booster is there to bolster the fork legs (or seat stays at the back) from flexing when braking, isn't it? So if the fork is already braced - or so good they braced it twice, what's the point of putting another one in front of the cantis?

Could the brake bosses flex that much, if the fork legs are braced with one (or 2 in this example) brace(s)?

Neil":wpf8csrh said:
Jussa":wpf8csrh said:
Neil":wpf8csrh said:
I must be having a stupid moment - I'm still not getting it. There's a brace on the forks (well actually 2 - but just say there was one) why would you need another in front of the cantis? Especially given there's 2 on the forks already.

The brake booster is there to bolster the fork legs (or seat stays at the back) from flexing when braking, isn't it? So if the fork is already braced - or so good they braced it twice, what's the point of putting another one in front of the cantis?

Could the brake bosses flex that much, if the fork legs are braced with one (or 2 in this example) brace(s)?

Well, i can see how it can be confusing, PACE Forks, obviouslt they need to be Braced like all Suspension Forks.

As mentioned previously Front and Back Brace can give Multiple Brake Options, where the Brake monuts are incroporated within the Brace, Front or Rear Facing (Rearward facing normally the preffered orientation for V's or Canti's on PACE forks)

The Extra Brace does not just brace or Stiffen the Forks, or Rear Stays (Can be fitted on the back brakes also) But stops flexing of the Brake Mounts, Some would argue that the forces do not warrant it, however hard braking can cause Flex and possible damage along the way.

Its a personal thing, not mandatory, some may say its cosmetic, some say they can feel the benefits, better braking etc.

Just try this experiment, Apply the brakes on your bike hard and watch the Flex in the Frame or Forks and Brake Mounts!!!

Hope this helps :D

Jussa :)

*The Pic is my 1996 Orange C16R with PACE RC38's AIRFORCE MK1 Forks, Front Brake Brace, Rearward Brake mounts, i dont brake heavy on this bike from the front so find its more than adequate for my style of riding.

Attachments

• pace_rc38_airforce_mk1_113.jpg
    pace_rc38_airforce_mk1_113.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 322
P7

I Have a c16r that looks very much like yours apart from the
Judy sl on the front,, but both the p7 and c16 have work to be done

I will have to post some pics of my other bikes for Some feed back on
Them????

Have you re painted the fraim??

Re: P7

tinker":1c8dwuf7 said:
I Have a c16r that looks very much like yours apart from the
Judy sl on the front,, but both the p7 and c16 have work to be done

I will have to post some pics of my other bikes for Some feed back on
Them????

Have you re painted the fraim??

The 1994 Started like this (see thread)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181717

Powder Coated in a nice Grey which does have a slight Pearlecent look about it, Stem & Forks done in same colour.

Another C16R Thread showing mine and a few other Retrobikers and their C16R's

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182168

My 1996 C16R, Original Paint and left that way,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169833

Enjoy,

Jussa :D

booster

The booster is there for one reason, becouse im using cantys i needid somthing to mount a cable hanger to, other wise the front brakes will not work, it will simply compress your forks,

basicly it is there as a cable hanger thats all. but trying to find or fab somthing

that i could use to hang the cable off was not easy and if i did find or fab sumthing that would serve this perpous it would look Horrible, that is y the brakes are being chainged to xtr vs, and the booster is going on the back brakes,

Tinker

Back