Kona's page

My Explosif ,update with news Cranks and Wheels.

IMAG0255.jpg

Cheers Markus

98' Kona Explosif in Pearl Yellow...

purchased a 98' Kona Explosif Frame from a fellow member (thanks Donnie) and have rebuilt it using period parts...also had it bead blasted and then painted in Renault Liquid Pearl Yellow with BMW Oliv paint for the forks which have a yellow metalic finish...

Decals are original design with colour flip thanks to Gil on the forum.

Full XTR including BB with NOS Hope Ti Glide wheels, blah,blah.Since photo was taken have changed saddle to original Flite trans am...

Nice or Yuk !?

Attachments

• kona - resized picture 3.JPG
    kona - resized picture 3.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • kona - resized picture.JPG 2.JPG
    kona - resized picture.JPG 2.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 1,079
  • kona - resized picture 4.JPG
    kona - resized picture 4.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 1,078
My 1996 Explosif, it's a little worse for wear but still has a lot of life left. I'd always wanted one when I was a teen but couldn't afford it at the time, twelve years later I finally bought one.

IMG_2345.jpg

Anthony":3cevfjz9 said:
main.php

This is a story about a 1994 Explosif

Now thats COOL mate.

Very understated, very cool, very interesting, a great read, and a clearly deidicated man with the love for it.

Im really Impressed mate.

Big respect.

Carl.

sinnerman":18n66ocu said:
Anthony":18n66ocu said:
main.php

This is a story about a 1994 Explosif

Now thats COOL mate.

Very understated, very cool, very interesting, a great read, and a clearly deidicated man with the love for it.

Im really Impressed mate.

Big respect.

Carl.

That is superb Anthony...having a 1994 Kilauea, that really interested me, and is a great insight in to the design.

Just out of interest, what are the differences between your Explosif and my Kilauea??

:cool:

Thanks for the kind words. I should say I only built that site to test whether WordPress was suitable for another application, and I couldn't think of anything else to base it on.

I think the 1994 Kilauea has identical seat tube, seat stay and chainstay to the 94 Explosif. The big difference is obviously the Tange Prestige Concept top and down tubes that were used on the Explosif from 1990-92, and then on the Kilauea from 1993-95. Concept is an ovalised and tapered tube going from 27 x 30 at the back to 30 x 34 at the front, the top and down tubes being the same size and gauge (9-6-9). This is a different philosophy to the Explosif, where the strength/stiffness is hugely biased towards the down tube (31.8 x 10-7-10, whereas the top tube is a 28.6 x 9-5-9). I believe the Explosif is c90g lighter, which is not a lot, but it isn't clear to me where that comes from. Maybe they could use a lighter head tube as there is so much strength in the down tube. Both tubesets are the same material. All Tange Prestige grades are heat-treated 4130.

I can't really compare my 95 Kilauea to be honest because I have only run it with the P2. It's a very fast bike, but my impressions are governed so much by the fork that it's difficult to say how it compares to the Explosif. As far as I'm aware the 95 Kilauea is technically the same as your 94. It's c50g heavier, but I suspect that's actually down to the paint finish, as the pearlescent paint has a really thick clear coat over it.

main.php

Back