New Build - Once you go black - 2012 Pace 104

BobCatMax":3fs4qyuh said:
how are you finding the alfine?

and if you don't mind me asking, is it a new one?

Having to come to the realisation that if I want to run gears on my kona again, it might be with one of these...

It's an 8 speed version but brand new.

I guess only tim will tell but there are many favourable reviews.

I wanted to try something different that would be less maintenance. It's gritty round these parts and I'm not md keen on cleaning drive chains!

In practice it's difficult to tell its not a std set up - that is except for the fact it's silent :cool:

jonnyboy666":2tkpzdfq said:
when they came out i thought they were very un-Pace like, i don't mean that negatively though, that said i think that looks great! :cool:

yeah have to agree with that, but still that is a very stunning bike

letmetalktomark":1gxai54o said:
The one thing I disliked about my R853 Sirius was the weight.

In theory it should have been closer in weight to the Soul. As a result I sold it on preferring my Soul.

I bought this frame knowing it would be no lightweight so am unsupprised by it relatively heavy total weight.

Ride wise I would say it was on par with the Sirius, maybe a little softer out back.

Not sure that really helps or answers your question! :oops:

Cheers Mark :) I am still looking at the Sirius but an also considering a 29er next.

Having had two well thought of 29ers recently (the Swift and Inbred) I can say to try and trial before buying. I didn't get on with either for a variety of reasons despite being 29er size compatible!

It its native environment with the usual motley crew!

img_2012051333662_110.jpg

Now I have a good few miles under my belt on this build I have to say I am impressed with the Alfine.

Yes you can feel the weight when stationary but in use less so. In fact the only time I did notice it was hoping the bike over logs and even then it was probably more my technique than Alfine!

Paint in the Pace is pretty brittle though. for every chip the bike gets you see more of the chrome underneath!

Back