Ribble R4

A friend of mine wants to sell her Ribble R4 MTB. She no longer uses it and needs some cash for a mot.

It's fitted with stx group set and Gt forks. I have been asked on how much it is worth. But I'm not sure. I have looked at ebay and only find Ribble race bikes.

Anyone know a rough price?

Yeah, I saw one of these locked up outside the gym today.

Ribble had a good reputation for road bikes, but don't know much about their MTB's.

Shop closed down a while ago, but there's still some modern bargains to be had on their website. Used them for a fair few bits for my Clockwork build and they were considerably cheaper than many other places.

Ri
azaro":3udlk1ik said:
bble had a good reputation for road bikes, but don't know much about their MTB's.

Shop closed down a while ago, but there's still some modern bargains to be had on their website.
I didn't know their shop had closed - it's been a while since I've been around where it was.

And like you say, they seemed to be well thought of for road bikes, going by the numbers of 'em I used to see.

Current owner of Ribble R4 circa mid to late 90's

I currently own a Ribble R4 from the mid to late 90's. I am still amazed at its lightness, and wondered if the current owners or" know-it-alls" could advise on a replacement bottom bracket and forks?

No reason to change anything else as all going strong. Mine came with full XT groupset, x lite levers, and 800 something grip shifters lol. Still going strong though. The rims are original and even one of the kevlar tyres.

The left crank arm was wobbling, and eventually warped meaning it came off frequently, too frequently to consider riding 10 minutes to work. I out on an Orange one and it has solved the problem short term. Does this mean the bottom bracket maybe okay after all?

I would like rigid replacement forks as I will probably get another front suspension bike next year (my recent acquisition replacement was stolen after only 4 weeks of ownership with no insurance hence revamp of R4).

Appreciate your comments.

In summary; Thoughts on:

Replacement rigid forks?
Replacement bottom bracket?
Do you reckon I even need a bottom bracket?

First time post (apologies for any unforseen lack in message board etiquette).

Appreciate your comments.

------------------
☺☻

If your only reason for replacing the bb was that the crank arm was wobbling, the cause is far more likely to be wear to the aluminium crank arm than to the steel bb taper. If the crank arm from an Orange seems to be ok, then no reason to think of it as a short-term solution. Just make sure it's on tight.

You don't say what forks you have on it at the moment. I appreciate that you can't post a photo until you have made a few more posts, but it's difficult to advise without seeing the bike. Kona Project 2 rigids are the usual cheapish choice, trible-butted preferably. They will mostly have a 41cm axle to crown length if that suits. For more money, Pace RC30 and RC31 are good forks, coming in a variety of lengths, often 40cm or 42cm.

great mtb. i have had 2 and would be tempted to buy another in a heartbeat. problem is i have a 2001 Zaskar Race, a Coyote HT5 and a Cannondale R700.
3 bikes and only one arse, hmmm...what is a man to do ?
On the subject of rigid forks, both my bikes have Mosso triple butted aluminium forks. Very light, ride great and a total steal at £36 post free from china via ebay

Latest posts

Back