Lad 3's '02 kona Scrap Special Edition

Archemist

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi

a simple no nonsense build for my youngest - not strictly retro - but as it's only six month's younger than he is, it's all relative :LOL:

IMG_0571.jpg

We have a collection of early 2000's kona and deore parts and a budget of £100 notes!

Roughed out with temp cables / grips...

DSC_1989.jpg

the forks are Noleen (sisters?) Air from '01 (ibelieve) and are very light the frame 7005 ally and together it's fly!

Some smarter cranks and a stub stem in 'wet' white on the birthday list.

brake andm gear cabling just arrived... so to the build.

I think its great for the money. Must be such a tempter to try doing some trials type stuff on it. Such a tiny frame.

Nice wee bike. Looks like fun ride for the youngin. Like the paint job and graphics of the Kona's of that period.

A little update

reckon it's cost about £110 to get to this - some modern 'stuff' added due to the inability to find mint white retro-ish cranks for example :D

But hey it's a very regular rider - we did two 12 mile jaunts last weekend on a mix of road and the local trails - so what's not to like.

I know I'd have given my Gran to have a bike like it when I was 12!

Photo's by JackS

Hi mate, not sure if you're still around but here goes,

I (well, my mum) bought a 2002 US Kona Scrap Limited Edition while we were in Singapore visiting relatives (I would have been 13 or 14 at the time), the Scrap sold in the UK at the time was of a lower spec I believe and didn't possess the OB reinforcement, for the money we thought it was worth picking it up while we were there, and bringing it back with us (well, I insisted as I simply fell in love the minute I saw it).

At any rate, a few years later (2007) I had to return to Singapore to serve national service, and sold the bike to a mate of mine. Unfortunately within a few weeks the bike was stolen; we always suspected his sister who had a bit of a drug problem (and still does, actually).

Anyways, I was just thinking about my old bike, and thought I'd google it and up came this thread (in a UK forum!). That frame is certainly exceptionally rare on these shores, indeed, I'd wager mine was the only one, so thought I'd get in touch. I'm not trying to claim it back or anything, I mean, I sold it after all, but I am going to try and see if there's any paperwork so we might be able to link it, and if it is my old bike, I thought you might have been interested in its history :)

If you still have it, and it is my old frame, then can I just say I'm really glad it's gone to a good home and is getting good use, and if you ever think of selling it, do let me know.

Latest posts

Back