Show me your single speeds!

neilll":gdeylblb said:
There's some amazing looking bikes here but here comes the obligatory dumb ass question:

Can someone please explain the SS concept in a nutshell....like why..??

I've seen them around for years and always wondered why people build them....put me out of my misery please... :?

Up until a few weeks ago I always asked myself the same question.
However, having ridden mine I really can see what all the fuss is about - it's about the ultimate simplicity and low maintenance, the fact that you're doing what not many people ever consider doing, the lovely silence without all that stuff rattling about on stoney descents and mostly because it's the same sort of fun that we had on bikes when we were kids.

That's my take on it anyway....and then there's this of course :cool:

Attachments

• Singlespeeder.jpg
    Singlespeeder.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,328
Andy R":9qpl7s1d said:
Up until a few weeks ago I always asked myself the same question.
However, having ridden mine I really can see what all the fuss is about - it's about the ultimate simplicity and low maintenance, the fact that you're doing what not many people ever consider doing, the lovely silence without all that stuff rattling about on stoney descents and mostly because it's the same sort of fun that we had on bikes when we were kids.

So what's the deal with the gearing.....the rest I can almost almost almost understand.....what is the 'single-speed' the equivalent of on a 7-speed bike....stuck on the middle ring and a 20 rear?.....help!!!!

neilll":10ryjaav said:
There's some amazing looking bikes here but here comes the obligatory dumb ass question:

I've seen them around for years and always wondered why people build them....put me out of my misery please... :?

For me its partly the simplicity of it all and partly the big grin i get when i over take people knowing ive had to work twice as hard as them. Anyone can climb a hill if you have an easy enough gear, but its as much about mental state and not giving in when your on a single speed. If your whole body doesnt feels like its going to explode when you get to the top of a big hill your gearing is to easy. :D

neilll":m5m0q8l4 said:
So what's the deal with the gearing.....the rest I can almost almost almost understand.....what is the 'single-speed' the equivalent of on a 7-speed bike....stuck on the middle ring and a 20 rear?.....help!!!!

No two SS bikes will have the same gearing - you pick your gear choice dependent on what type of riding you do - hilly, trails, road, whatever...

I plan on SS-ing the Explosif at some point this year I think... :)

s_zigmond":e8fj2cd8 said:
If your whole body doesnt feels like its going to explode when you get to the top of a big hill your gearing is to easy. :D

Ok....now THAT I don't understand.....that's why I have so many gears, so my lungs don't come out and slap me round the face when i'm on a steep climb.....so far I'm not sold on this SS lark (but strangely thinking about which bike I could convert should I fancy a go :oops: :shock: )

For me it's all about fun and challange... just like normal mountain biking.

There is a real sense of achievement to getting my singlespeed up a trail or hill that I can easily achive on my normal bikes. You do have to work harder, get out of the saddle more, and generally adapt your style, all of which are fun... a bit like being a beginner again.

Add in the thrill of a 20lb bike that is built to last, doesn't rattle as much and won't destroy itself on the first section of rocks and you have a recipe for fun.

Downside... you need a level of fitness for it to be fun, you have to push yourself, but you do get to relax on the flats and downhills because you can't pedal... unless you go fixed... and that's a whole new level of masochism.

My rides 1993 Serotta TMAX SS

IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5308.JPG

Mine. $16.50 US invested. Sub 19 lbs.
1997 Marin Team built from parts in my garage

Attachments

• Backbone512 (1).JPG
    Backbone512 (1).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 3,261
neilll":3bv7e11j said:

1. Built mine to get a pile of parts off my garage floor. They are easier to move around the garage and storage is easier when built into a complete bike.

2. There is also the macho thing: I get a kick out of hearing people on geared full sussers say "cool, rigid and single" or "wow, you rode that up here?"

3. Small amount of $ invested = Not as worried when I ride into town and park the SS at the pub.

Back