Presta valve on a mountain bike tyre

Again thanks for the replies

Although the Reetard rim is quite narrow I did consider drilling it out to accept shcreader but decided against it as my drilling accuracy is rubbish.

I went with the 2.1 tubes as it's a single speed so more likely to go from the 2.1 panaracers onto semi or full slicks. For now I'm enjoying it even if the mary bars take some time to get used too.

Well that didn't last too long

Got it set up took it for a ride and the avids felt like they were poorly set up/full of air and the moulded fluid pot looked faded/burnt? so the brake levers went back to the grips when pulled, the wheel spokes clashed on the front with the caliper and within 30 minutes of riding the bb started to make noises that remind me of my last bb failure many years ago.

So bits missing, set up poor and now with broken bits I contact the dealer. Who tells me avids need to be heavily pumped when new(which I knew and had tried) and the other items could be done by the local bike shop as could the bb.

Now some bits I can do and if it was just one or the other I would do them but a brand new complete bike with bits missing, some bits not working and other bits broken and the best customer care they can offer is go to your local bike shop and pay for them to fix it has rather sullied my opinion of my old on one.

Obviously despite feeling angry enough to do something silly I advised them the bike will be boxed and returned to them for a refund.

Having had an inbred when they first came out and loved it I am incredibly dissapointed that this brand new one has so many issues and the dealer is well, less than enthusiastic to see why a number of problems on a brand new bike would pee people off.

I'm not sure what angers me the most the brand new bike with so many issues, the dealers less than understanding manner or a combination of both. Add to that the dealer has now gone deadly silent on return and refund questions I am thankfull I paid by paypal so may have to start a problem resolution.

Once the refund is back in my sweaty palms I doubt on one will see another money spend from me.

Ouch thats a pretty bad burn.

Avid's are very hit and miss out of the box i have found but the other thinsg and reponse is poor.

Did the bike come built or partially assembled in the box? If it's the latter, I'm afraid I can sort of see where they're coming from: bikes don't come set up correctly in the box, it's up to you/your mechanic to make sure everything is tight and working. That's why some of the big companies don't sell their bikes mail order. If the bike was completely built when it arrived and half the parts were loose, yeah, there's a problem there.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I do agree that they should have been a bit more willing to help. A decent LBS will be able to sort all those problems in quickly and easily. I'd be surprised if the BB is gone, it probably just needs taking out, cleaning, greasing and refitting. Try bleeding the brakes up. Maybe ask On One if they'll pony up the labour costs, if you haven't totally lost faith in them?

It did come boxed and no you are not being harsh. I have bought boxed bikes before and accept that there is always some assembly to do by the buyer.

However there is a difference between assembly and paying a good wad of cash for the bike to then need to spend more at your local lbs to get the thing as it should be.

None of the items are beyond me but, a compilation of missing items, poorly manufactured and broken parts added to the dealers you pay for it again attitude has decided this dealer and this product will never see a penny from me again

Perhaps some have got used to fixing things dealers can't be arsed to get right and check before they send, myself I work dam hard for the money I eventually spend and don't like to pay the price and then some more to get it as it should be.

Sounds like you got a rough deal there KDM.
As a word of warning, similar thing happened to me recently. My Mrs bought a new bike through a well known high street cycle retailer last year, and the BB failed within 3 months. When I spoke with the manager at the shop, he informed me that any warrenty or cover for the bike doesnt cover any item that is fitted with a bearing, as they are classed as "wear items".....

I flipped my lid at him, as the bike had litterally done about 15miles in that time, but he was adamant that "that is just the way it is". He did however suggest coming into the shop to "see what they could do".

When we arrived at the time he suggested, staff said he had done one for the rest of the day.... so on the verge of nearly flipping again, the guy serving us said "dont worry, he's a twat anyway... have a replacement fitted for free.... he can explain it to the regional manager himself"

Good luck getting it sorted
G

what bike is this? brand/model/cost? if it is a £ 119 Argos fs bike then there should not be much surprise.

I do mention earlier in the thread it was a on one inbred and as you know these are not argos bso prices

The dealer initially suggested it should be returned at my cost and then a 10% restock fee be applied. I have pointed out the bike should have been checked to ensure it is fit for purpose which in this case neither fitted what turned up on my door.

So for now the bike has been returned and if the faults I've returned it for are there then he has agreed to refund the full amount and the return postage. So the potential for the right result is there it's just a case of wait and see and yes this is from an official on one dealer.

Regardless, the distance selling regulations mean that you are entitled to a full refund. Restock fees etc are not legal, and they have to pay return shipping.

See here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /DG_183048

Secondly, the Sale of Goods Act means that goods have to be fit for purpose, and your bike clearly was not. Refund again! :D

Hopefully you also paid by credit card, which gives you even more protection.

Back