Surly Moonlander

New hope bb fitted today....should last longer than 100 miles :LOL:

5943d933.jpg

f60a223e.jpg

30 mile ride around the Tyne turned into a 10 mile disaster today!

Few pics of what little miles I did of though...

Started at hadrian cycle way

8a0f4941.jpg

Segedunum roman houses

33d29002.jpg

Famous swan hunters shipyard, now closed...

0d27827b.jpg

Onto the cycle tunnel that links north and south Tyneside

7ce6a861.jpg

Through the eery tunnel!

127c9a89.jpg

Only a few miles in so far...

6431a26b.jpg

The tunnel pics are on south side, showing the design and workers pics etc, very interesting.

c45c664b.jpg

Pulled up on the south side as the rear was going soft....

267b3e04.jpg

Lovely old bridges at wallsend

783d9a9f.jpg

8036ddc1.jpg

Stuck lots of air into tire and cracked on until another few miles the rear was dragging like hell again...

67291844.jpg

Pulled and stripped the tire down, right opposite the place I started from, no short cut across the Tyne though, it's 7 miles either way.

The small crane ontop the large one is billed as the tallest crane in the uk.

5b4c05db.jpg

Basic tools....but still no foreign object or signs of punctures, so a long pump up and cracked on again...

52ae8fe5.jpg

24201f69.jpg

10 miles total and again flat as a pancake, had to phone my bruv for a lift!

a30f6a83.jpg

saltyman":vbw4yvcl said:
I'm one of these people who ride alone, away from people, away from trail centres and the like.....I prefer being a lone explorer.
I agree. Pure freedom: no-one to slow me down, no-one to have to keep up with; it's my schedule and my route, and I can change it whenever I want. I don't always take it slow, though, and in fact, I welcome challenges to my riding skill and agility whenever the opportunity arises, whether it's downhill, uphill, obstacle-laden, or even spontaneously hot-dogging when no other challenging option presents itself.

I found out about Pugs just a few months ago, and was lucky enough to test ride one for a couple of minutes. When I did, I felt like I had just discovered bicycling for the first time in my life, even though I've been riding MTBs for almost 25 years now. I'm over 50, but for a brief few minutes that day, it was like I was 6 years old all over again, the day after the training wheels came off! Not to get too mushy here, but it was a truly joyful experience. I dare anyone to test ride a fatbike and NOT laugh out loud or experience an ear-to-ear grin (or both) while doing so!

I'm waiting for my tax refund so I can get one of these. I was thinking about getting a Black Ops (re-named the Necromancer), and that maybe the Moonlander was a bit too much "fatness", but after reading this thread I think I'm going to have to go with the Moony. I think the 5 lbs savings is worth not being able to swap the front and rear wheels; I don't plan on being so far away from civilization that not being able to swap the wheels is going to matter. When I get one, however, I'll have to find a secluded place to ride, as I would hate to be stopped and have my fatbike ogled by every person I happened upon!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be following closely.

More great pics and ride details fella but sorry to hear about your puncture woes. Dodgy valve maybe? Its not unheard of with the Surly tubes. I had a couple of 'phantom' punctures with the rear on mine before changing to the Bontrager tubes :?

I finally found the puncture this morning, it was tiny but still blowing out good.

No signs of foreign objects and valve is sweet so let's hope that's it!

A fatbike puncture is a nightmare compared with a normal tubed bike, thankfully at home I have the track pump to get those bad boys inflated :)

incorrigible":290aknaw said:
after reading this thread I think I'm going to have to go with the Moony. I think the 5 lbs savings is worth not being able to swap the front and rear wheels; I don't plan on being so far away from civilization that not being able to swap the wheels is going to matter. When I get one, however, I'll have to find a secluded place to ride, as I would hate to be stopped and have my fatbike ogled by every person I happened upon!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be following closely.

i love riding in remote places, the odd dog walker or wildlife is fine, but i prefer the secluded coastlines and woodland tracks.

best thing with one of these, if there is no track.....you make your own, and i do that regular, great feeling.

yesterday i struggled with the tube twice then gave up due to my girlfriend driving 2hrs to see me so i opted for the lift home to save her waiting seeing as she had travelled 130 mile to see me!

bar that, they are strong, bombproof bikes, they have to be. i always keep my bikes in tip top shape due to them being my prizes assets anyways.

im afraid you cant escape folk who want to stop and talk about these bikes mind....so plan extra time for your rides :LOL: its every ride now, unless you blank folk or avoid them where possible!

glad i have inspired a few folk to try them though ;)

i had a great chat to the guy who travelled from scotland for my pugsley today, told hime what sites to visit to get info etc, also about the bike, left one happy chap.

as for fat bike choice, surly are still top choice for many, pugsleys are awesome bikes, they really are. id be happy with one if i didnt have the moony, but the moony does everything i need.

yes, the wheels are not swappable like pugsleys and the extra width can slow you down on roads and hardpack, but the speeds i go i dont mind one bit, plus its always ready for anything, sand, snow, mud, rocks, bogs, streams, gravel.....anything.

After a stunning 16 miles on the hybrid today I was cursing myself I didn't take the moonlander out today, 18c and stunning for a February!

After getting back and taking care of a few things I popped out to make the most of the evening light on the moony....until 2 miles since my last puncture.....I had another!

Surprised to see the cause, but was a nice place to repair it, right on the quayside.

2dbe61cf.jpg

c88aaf29.jpg

2675b5f1.jpg

Latest artwork being towed to quayside....

60ca2974.jpg

65d473d0.jpg

Been in the lake district quite abit recently, though without my bikes!

Nice 16 miler today to blow the dust off the moonlander, and I did the same route yesterday on my hybrid, same time.....despite the extra 10lbs and huge tires against a hybrid with slicks!

Even stopped for a few pics...sunset was great.

5628e1e9.jpg

Bae, ie vickers tanks....

7fc7dc11.jpg

e86f13ed.jpg

b32acb3b.jpg

f85086d8.jpg

Timed the ride just right, just got dark as I returned home :D

b2533f53.jpg

Back