Shepard's Pie - Tips, Suggestions & Proselytizing

highlandsflyer":19nlq6vi said:
If you don't grate onions into your mash, and garnish it with some finely chopped chives, you are a criminal.

Or in my case sensible.

I'm allergic to raw onion.

Absolutely has to be minced lamb, not minced beef.

Minced beef variant is cottage pie, not shepherds pie.

Can't fault Swannymeres recipe.

now im stuffed, got to say a splash of red wine when just befour you turn the heat off the mince works a treat.

Attachments

• 408976_10150643219688588_513623587_9172936_746690484_n.jpg
    408976_10150643219688588_513623587_9172936_746690484_n.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 427
Damn that's looking tasty!

Since it seems that this thread is not so much about specific recipes, but rather tips and suggestions, I think I might change the title.

recipes can be a little restricting, once you have the basics its better to see what you have to hand and go with the flow.

My wife used to put garlic in her shepherds pie. Soon put a stop to that! Gordan Ramsey did a very simple but delicious recipe that she now follows. Something along the lines of minced lamb, grated onion, grated carrot and a glass of red wine. Tastes lovely.

Some smoked garlic came into my life this week, i don't normally add garlic to Shepherd's Pie but the smoked stuff isn't as strong IMHO and adds a depth from the smokiness. I'll file a report soon, and another front a friend of mine swears by a little dark chocolate :?

Doesn't anyone use trimmings anymore?

Lots of these foods were invented through necessity, but now seem to be treated like gourmet delights!

We are far too precious about things like recipes. Throw what you have laying around into it, and call it what you want!

Does no one remember being a student?

What's cooking tonight Tony?

Curry Surprise.

Ooh, what's the surprise?

Don't know yet, whatever is in the fridge along with what I scraped off the plates from the lounge.

How about tomorrow?

Er, Chilli Surprise I guess.

Have you seen the price of joints of lamb or beef? No student will buy a joint because mince is so cheap, i think most people will throw the odd thing in but generally people cook what they need and no more.

Back