Dawes identification

will be interesting to see this when you have finished, good to see an old bike getting a new lease of life. Will you be leaving everything original?

The deralier is shimano and I'm sure is not standard given the campag parts. I would love to keep everything standard but I'm a student on a tight budget, so for now I'm just going to get the most available parts then swap them out for NOS or used when I have some money or find cheap ones around.
I'm having problems with the bottom bracket at the moment. I have cleaned the spindle and cups , re greased and replaced the ball bearings with the same size that were in there and I can't seem to get the cups tight enough to stop play in the spindle without over tightening the bearings. Could the balls be the wrong size? I have use .22 ball bearings is this right?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sam.

Sorry, I don't know what the .22 designation means. You should need 1/4" bearings. Sounds like the ones you have may be a little small. Can you compare to the old ones still?
Nick

Hi, yes i bought 1/4 inch, but measured them, and the ones that were in there, to check sizing an and they were both read 0.22 of an inch :? i think I will go to a bearing place neer me tomorrow and get the right size.

Dawes Medallion

Hi Sam,

I'm really interested in how you get on with this project - I just bought something which is labelled a Dawes "Medallion" and want to get it back to as close to original as I can.

I'm just going through photographing and measuring and will post soon. The colour isn't half as pretty as yours - mine is a kind of mustard yellow with green metallic panels on the down and seat tubes. The frame seems to be plated - maybe nickel - and the paint dosn't seem to key into that very well.

The serial on the rear dropout is GS9199, which fits reasonably well with yours.

Grumps

Back