Ally's Scott Scale 30, 2011.

stevec1975: Thanks man, good of you to say. Took a liking to them when Saltyman got his one, and your one made me finally decide on getting one.

I've been looking out for updates on your one. How's it coming on?
I certainly haven't done as much upgrading as yourself, mainly due to funds or the lack of them for now, but I'm looking at the gearing next I think. Really like what you've done with yours though, and would be interested in updates.

I'll get it weighed in the next few days when I'm back at work.

FST4RD: Thanks man.

Had my first decent spin on it today. Just went up one of the local hills to me. Pretty spoilt for good tracks where I am.

Feb017.jpg

This is about an hours biking from my door. Fair bit of climbing to get here.

Feb018.jpg

Bike rides really well, very happy with it. With the rigid forks, it does handle like a modern version of my Pace, or Kona - if that makes any sense. Different feel because its carbon, but same kind of geometery, so handling it quite close. Just what I was after.

Feb019.jpg

This is one of my benchmark climbs. Always feel like I need to get this done in the middle ring - easier this time due to the lower gearing than I'm used to. Its steeper than the photo makes out.

Feb023.jpg

From here its 20min of fast downhill back to my door. I love this bit of track.

Feb020.jpg

Back home. Bike did great. Need to have a good look at the back wheel as it feels unballanced, so maybe its had a bit of a rough bed-in.

Feb016.jpg

Regarding its weight; I did the bathroom scales thing and it comes out at exactly 8kg.
Probably widely inaccurate, but its an indicator nonetheless. A bit alarming to think that I weigh a bit more than 10 times its weight though.

Superb photos/location to ride/first ride report. Makes me want to get out on mine (need to finish it first!).

Lucky man to have nice places to ride like that.

Yeah man; its great where I am for getting good rides from my door. I'll venture further afield soon for bigger rides once I'm happy the bike is all bedded in.

More pics from today's quick ride before nightshift.

This is another local hill about half an hours biking from the door on reasonably quiet roads.

Scaulty005.jpg

Doesn't take long to get some height and get some nice veiws. I'm feeling pretty unfit at this point though.

Scaulty007.jpg

Certainly glad of the lack of weight in the bike. Also very pleased with the handling: Never felt the need for suspension, but that's maybe just because that's what I'm used to.

Scaulty009.jpg

I think I'm understanding the bike better after this ride. Gears make more sense to me; I used them all today with some steep climbing.
The frame is a bit of a revelation to me. I've only ever had a full carbon road bike before (early OCLV), and it was so stiff it was almost uncomfortable.

Scaulty010.jpg

The Scott has a good ammount of power transfer, not quite that of my Pace, but close; but it also has a good degree of complience. Not harsh at-all.

Scaulty011.jpg

I guess carbon layups make more sense to me now. Its got the stiffness of aluminium and the springy-ness of a good steel frame. Hope that makes some kind of sense (does to me, but maybe just in my head).

Scaulty012.jpg

Love it so far though, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
The last time I was up this hill was on my ProFlex and I met some loons on their full downhill bikes. They were quite taken with it and couldn't get over how light it was. I couldn't get over how heavy their bikes were: totally different things though I suppose.

Scaulty013.jpg

It got a better mix of trails today. Steep climbs, fast landrover tracks, rocky/peaty singletrack, all covering the ups, flat, and downhills.

Scaulty015.jpg

Little bit of road and nice little bit through the woods on the approach to the house.

Scaulty017.jpg

Short wee climb, and home. I'm very lucky to live quite a bit off from and roads, just landrover tracks to where I am.

Scaulty018.jpg

Great riding today though. 2-1/4hrs all in door-to-door. Pics aren't great I know. New camera will have to wait as the money went on the new bike.

Cheers guys.

Yeah 44.5 A-C. Works out the same as the sag height of the stock fork.

Weight comes in at 8kg.

Been riding it a fair bit, and still liking it a lot, so far its proving to have been a good buy for me.

Back