1994 Orange P7.

Yep, that's the one. Was impressed with the seller and his honest listing. He put pictures up of the very worst bits instead of hiding them. The rust seems no more then surface tbh and should clean up quite easily. He said he'd bought it back in 98 and had never taken it off road. He also mentioned that he listed it on here a while back but no one really bit.

Cheers Marc, any chance of a pic? ;)

Dossa, I'm sure we can sort something out as the I-Beam will be coming off. :D

Just sold an identical one to a fella on here who had his stolen :evil:
It's a great ride real lively and built for abuse from the start if you read the original adverts .Compared to a Rocky Blizzard though she is an unforgiving mistress who wants to stab you in the back on loose descents :shock:
Enjoy though it looks very sweet ;)

Sorry for the hijack but I've got a marin team issue with similar rust issues on the nickel plating, what's the best way to deal with it folks?

don't forget there is lacquer on top of the plating so you'll rub that off, when i did mine i spent ages cleaning and polishing it (with autosol etc) but it showed signs of surface rust quite quickly, especially if it was a wet ride so in the end i cleaned the hell out of it, polished it, then took it to Argos so they could re-lacquer it, now it looks spot on.

here's a couple of pics to show the finish :)

Attachments

• p7 nickel 1.jpg
    p7 nickel 1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 524
  • p7 nickel.jpg
    p7 nickel.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 524
OK cool, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

I took a wire brush to mine about a year ago and tried to clearkote it but it just rubbed off and the rust has come back with a vengence....

My nexp plan of attack is to use Dinitrol rust treatment, I'll let you know how that goes.

Cheers!

The lacquer's quite snotty as it is jonny so I'd thought of doing as you have. Was going to have a go at re-lacquering myself though as I don't want to chuck too much money at it for now.

I was down at Triple S with beavis yesterday dropping off his frame and they told me they can't remove the chrome (although it can be done) so a re-paint would go over the top and lead to a slightly uneven finish. Not the best so if I like the ride I might swap it for a painted frame that's easier to work with. We'll see.

The wheels?

Hope lightweight on the front and a Ti-glide on the back.

I've had a set of Hopes on my C-16R since early '95 and they've been fine even through some pretty heavy abuse including a pringled (and cracked) rear rim at one point.

Keep an eye and I'm sure they'll be fine. Not to say they don't crack; I'm sure everybody has seen examples before.

Back