Removing cassette - advice needed

reptile smile

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,

Have never needed to remove a cassette before and am so far failing miserably. I'd hoped - optimistically - that it might be possible to fudge something together holding the damned thing in place with an old chain wrapped around the cassette and a sledgehammer handle, and then go at it with a Park Tool lock ring removal tool.

I now have a bruise under my fingernail.

Whilst I appreciate I may, in the end, have to stop being such a tight-arse and buy a chain whip (is there really no alternative?), I'm still kind of baffled by the lock ring remover, because it doesn't go in very deep into the lock ring, and it seems hard to believe I'm going to get enough leverage on it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers all

Hold the cassette with the whip and turn the lockring anti-clockwise with the spline tool.

I found it easier to put the spline tool in the vice and use the wheel as leverage holding the whip against a spoke.

If its quick release you can use the skewer to hold the tool in place.

You can attach the chain to something (loop it through a bench leg or similar) at about cassette height and then just wrap it around and butt the wheel up against something and away you go.

i use an oil filter wrench at home. do use proper chain whips at work and tbh i have never needed a chain whip at home. if you dont like your wheel you can also jam a screwdriver into the back of the cassette ;) *

*dont do this if you are going to use the wheel afterwards. de management.

Thanks guys. Job done. Old chain wrapped around the cassette at one end, and the head of a sledgehammer that I was stood on at the other.

Things I learnt today #3: you want to take the tyre/tube off first.

Any more brains and I'd be dangerous...

Latest posts

Back