Fongers Professional

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
This bicycle is a rare Fongers Professional. It originally belonged to the Van Eyck team, an amateur in the Netherlands in the late 70s/early 80s.

The frame is built by Batavus' small custom frame shop, so there is a lot resemblance with the Batavus Professional. The tubing for this frame is Columbus SP. The lugs are Bocama Super Professionals, the crown comes from Cinelli and the 1010B dropouts from Campagnolo.

The bike is completely original, bar wheels. The tape has faded a bit and the hoods are a bit dry, but hey, there is nothing wrong with a bit patina!

6716136193_6b5fd7f854_b.jpg

6716110779_5782802d2e_b.jpg

The other side >>>

6716082397_c39b599ccd_b.jpg

Specifications
Dura-Ace EX everything
3T cockpit
Cinelli Unicanitor seat
SR Extra Super Light seatpost with Ti hardware

Thanks for watching.

Thank you

Serial 0 53 2715

53cm c-t frame
2715th frame (since the beginning of Batavus' small frame build shop - I think)

Batavus acquired Fongers in 1970, hence the tie with Batavus. Fongers, established in Groningen in 1884, enjoys the reputation as the builder of the best traditional Dutch bikes. Both very durable and with interesting techniques. A Fongers enthusiast created a website on independent Fongers >>

www.fongers.net

Before 1970 Fongers did build roadbikes in small series, but Fongers did not sell them under the Fongers name. Those were the days that roadcycling was for 'blue collar' people, while Fongers had the upper class as target group. Fongers solved this through a cooperation with RIH from Amsterdam. RIH contibuted with competition bike know how and brandname, Fongers contributed with excellent small series production capabilities. I posted a Fongers-RIH in December. View it here >> my Fongers-RIH

Thank you Toomski

Yes, I offered the framekit for an asking I consider very sympathic, but nobody seemed to care. Moreover the idea that it is a pity to seperate the frame from its authentic kit has gradually grown on me. This is the result: the Fongers back in full original glory.

Thank you

This 2 years younger Batavus Professional was also built by the Batavus race frame shop. This particular frame uses Reynolds 531 butted tubing instead of Columbus SP (but you could order SP) and a Bocama crown instead of Cinelli. Apart from that much is the same.

5659471516_cd44170dc4_b.jpg

The Batavus' Bocama crown has cyclists engraved:

5659447948_00554c299c_z.jpg
6716092317_7a69b04594_z.jpg

Pinstriping for the Fongers while the Batavus has an headtube in contrasting colour (upcharge). Bocama Super Professional long point lugs for both frames. The Columbus decal sits between the shifters and a Dura-Ace EX decal on the seattube, where the Columbus decal usually sits.

The Batavus has an open shell, but the 1980 model didn't have. Like the Fongers.

5658881167_0ce8fa83d1.jpg

Serial 2 56 4510

The Batavus came with full Dura-Ace AX aerodynamic group. This frame wasn't properly specced for that, as the routing to the rear derailleur doesn't work properly when the cable comes from under the bracket.

Back