DH Peddles

RobMac":11sbwbur said:
This is just the kinda stuff I want to hear about, apart from bailing out the other big issue is staying with the bike when it leaves the ground, no bother when Im clipped in.

Thanks

Not seen many bmx's with spd's so you should be ok with the airborne bits. Have never tried spd's they hit the scene big time just as the door was shutting on me last time round. Toe clips were as far as I went but they soon found the bin.

ddg make good dh pedals , the pins are huge :shock:

just make sure you get a set wi loads of long pins rob , oh and get some shin guards :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

big.eck":1leyix7j said:
ddg make good dh pedals , the pins are huge :shock:

just make sure you get a set wi loads of long pins rob , oh and get some shin guards :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Worse than bear traps? my shins still bear witness to those :LOL:

btw. shinguards are a must when you start the flatpedal thing. and tease google for some hints regarding proper technique - takes the edge off the scare when you hit a rockgarde the first time...

I use NC-17 Magnesium IIs on both my Cotic and my Banshee. They are super light for starters, are a good size with a concave section in the middle that helps grip and comfort and they are reasonably low profile to aid clearance. Most importantly they are bomb proof. One pair I have have been in regular use for over three years of Thrunton abuse. They look very tatty now but all the pins are still there, the axles are still straight and the bearings are still perfect. Seriously, I've never had to strip them down, re-tighten anything or offer them any fresh grease. They are still super smooth and free of any play. I'll never use anything else now.

As mentioned above, use them with a pair of Five10's. Ugly boots but stick like shit to a blanket on any flat pedal. Warm enough in winter and bearable in summer. A great boot only let down by a lack of grip when scrambling up muddy bankings.

Si

Inigo Montoya":ffoo2abp said:
btw. shinguards are a must when you start the flatpedal thing. and tease google for some hints regarding proper technique - takes the edge off the scare when you hit a rockgarde the first time...

Shins arn't a problem, there's little flesh there. Its your calves you need to watch. I had a chain snap whilst jumping the doubles at our local BMX track this summer. I now have a four inch purple scar down the back of my calf. I really should have got it cleaned and stitched but when there's gaffer tape in your bag and dusty trails to be had..... :twisted:

V8s V12s the list goes on....

Personally I found when using flats the most important thing was shoes - after a while of riding in my Vans my arches were killing me - so got a pair of Adidas Berms (which I don't think are made anymore) which have slightly stiffer soles (but not spd shoe stiff) to support your feet a little more, as well as an ankle bone guard thingy and a velcro strap for the laces. I sure 5.10s are stiffer than your average skate shoe too (661 does some flat pedal shoes too, have a look at crc for some and I think there's some dirt cheap ones on planet x at the moment too!)

Oh yes, and Dr.S is right - they eat calves just as much as shins!!!

ramstein-dh":1cqgwzyj said:
Apparently the wellgo DMR copy's are amazing and dirt cheap.
Also like Enid said , wear DC shoes , Vans something like that.
I wear them anyway so it makes no odd's too me.
But if you wear , addidas or something like that they will not grip at all.

Burgtec Pedals are amazing but far too expensive.

Can't go wrong with DMR V8/V12 buddy

I bought a pair of wellgos but they didn't spin that well out of the packet. I am running V12s on the commuter, from new, one pedal spun great, the other not so great, but both better than the wellgos did.

Though - not much of an "Energy dissipation issue" doing DH I wouldn't have thought.

Back