British components

Royce are another one to add for hubs.
Sturmey have done 5's for donkeys' years, I think they now offer an 8. But they are now owned by SunRace.

Radar":1f3f7ahw said:
Sadly a lot of British 'manufacturers' are actually designers and importers. The following are ,I believe , 'made in Britain' (HOPE - stems, seatposts, clamps, brakes, levers, chainrings, QR, headsets

USE - chainrings, stems, seatposts, bars, bottle cages, QR

MIDDLEBURN - chainrings, cranks, hubs, valve caps

GOLDTEC/BETD - hubs, chainrings and suspension upgrades

BROOKS - saddles, grips

Frames - Orange used to make some of their top end frames here. Apart from bespoke frame builders are there any 'big' manufacturers left actually building in the UK?

Burgtec - bars, stems, hubs, pedals
BETD - also do dropouts, hubs and a few other small bits and bobs like HTII preload nuts.
Renthal - bars and chainrings
Pace are still engineering/manufacturing some of their hardware in the UK but not sure what exactly.
Hope also do BBs and apparently have a chainset, integrated freehub/cassette and pedals in development
Clarks cables are british aren't they?
Goodridge (but I believe they also manufacture in Canada)

dbmtb":b9oztvi9 said:
Hope also do BBs and apparently have a chainset, integrated freehub/cassette and pedals in development

And going by what is said on the Youtube video posted a few days ago aren't ruling out the idea of a Hope bike!

maverick":h8fa3owm said:
This has given me an idea for a bike build, but i was instantly stuck on the gears + brakes issue. I dont fancy a Sturmey Archer hub thingy, its retro, but not retro cool.

Any suggestions?

Hope make brakes, but other than Sturmey I don't know of any gears.

How about also designers and importers. Just british owned companies.

Tried posting originally via my mobile, but timed out... in my original unposted post I'd put Royce down - how did I forget?

Anyhoo - Pace - didn't think they 'made' anything anymore, thought theyy were a design/import house like Halo, On-One, Cotic etc

All British build - think this is the eleventh commandment of owning the Yorkshire square. "Thou shalt build thy Pace frame with British kit, use Lancashire bling if thee must"

My attempt - struggled with drivetrain except Middleburn chainset (went for XTR mechs, shifters and chain, DA cassette - all made in Hungary), brakes - I didn't want discs at the time so went for XTR Vs, wheels Hope hubs (DT Swiss spokes, Mavic rims - but they are French and historically vast tracts of France were English, so do they sort of count?), tyres and tubes (Michelin which are agin French but probably made in the Far East), grips (where were Onza Porcipaws made? Far East most likely), and saddle (had to go for a Flite as that is what my bum is most comfortable on. At the time USE were making saddles but 1 they were silly money and 2 made in Italy just USE badged i believe)

Conti - not all is made in Germany, only the high end kit

(I've got two pairs of Contis for my road bike, one pair made in Germany the other in Malaysia)

Just had a thought. Charge. I've seen some vans on the motorway before and since then always assumed they were british.

I know they're technically road bike parts but thought I'd add it here ;)

How about Ragley? Something's making me think they're British, doesn't say anything in their 'About us' section, butr they have some stuff on CRC. :roll:

Back