Lemond's 1989 Bottecchia

Toff":25wdpez7 said:
Here are my observations in relation to whether this is a genuinely Greg Lemond's 1989 TDF Bike.

I will begin with a picture of Greg in the 1989 TDF as posted on Bikeradar.

1283255451493-110klqxckp68y-950-75.jpg

1) It was typical to write the rider's name on the top tube back in 1989, so that the mechanic would setup the bike correctly, and give each rider the correct bike. Where is "G. Lemond" written on the Ebay frame???

2) Notice the seatstays in the above photo are painted red, not Chrome!!!

3) Do an image search of Greg lemond, and you will notice that he rode a San Marco Regal saddle. The rivets of the Regal saddle can be seen shining in the above photo. I'm not sure what saddle is on the Ebay bike, but to me it looks like a Selle Italia Campionissimo, not a Regal.

4) Look at the decal on the seat tube above the Bottechia name. On the Ebay bike I see blue, then red, then black, then a white rectangular box with writing. I assume this is a "World Champ" decal of some sort, to celebrate Greg Lemond's Rainbow Jersey. Now look at seat tube above. I see what appears to be an Italian flag set of stripes, not a "World Champ" sticker. Apart from the fact that a bike team would be unlikely to bother putting a new decal on a bike halfway through a racing season, Greg won the 1989 Tour de France a good 3 months before he became world champion!!!

In addition, the word "Bottechia" seems to be completely absent on the seat tube in the image above.

Bottom line...
It aint the same bike.

The seller is either an idiot or a crook. 'Nuff said.

Late to the party, yes, I know.

I own a former 1989 ADR-Bottecchia teambike, that is, no wheels, saddle/seatpost or handlebar/stem.
'Team 89' etched in rear mech and cranks, yes. Mavic and Columbus decals everywhere.

But no sign of what team member rode this bike. And in execution slightly different from Lemond's bike in the picture. Mine has chrome headlugs f.i. And the pip for the frame pump on the back of the headtube, which would be quite awkward with the race number peg in the way.
Also note the sloppy 'fade' paint on the seatstays.

In short, a real pro-frame, slapped together at short notice. Give us the measurements , we'll make the frame.

All this to show, don't ggo for the obvious.

Here are the pics:

' http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Fre ... +teambike/ '

Latest posts

Back