Skibiking meeting and test day

So from your experience a high front and low slung rear might be a good set up? I'm thinking a small mtb frame with a lay back post and long travel front forks. This would give a slack head angle but a slightly rear balanced ski could compensate for this in turns.

I also think pedals right at the BB might be an issue, making them further out might help but not so far that they could dig in on turns. Is there any leeway for this?

Did you get her number :)

High front low back

Yes The Ken, the high front/low back combo seems to be the way most go. 4" travel is adequate, some people have more, but I think that only becomes an issue if you are going to do humungous jumps or drops.
Wayne used a Satori stem extension on his design, I have seen others use BMX handlebars. Low handlebars are only to be seen on classic skibobs, where you are almost sitting on the ground!

Bottom bracket pegs are the norm, though one diy skibike retained cranks, the rider could use normal leg positions when cornering and would gain clearance too. There are ready made folding pegs becoming available, just like the type used for the pillion seat on a motorcycle.

Cool but uncontrollable

azaro, the traditional style of skibike with little skis on your feet is totally controllable, better than skiing (see my avatar); but riding on the pegs is akin to changing from the snowplough to parallel skiing, a tough technique to master but delivering great results once you've cracked it.
The feeling is very floaty, more like flying than riding, perhaps a quality DH mtb rig might deliver the same feel on a loose surface.
I am getting better at "pegging" but it is taking me more time than I thought it would. Some people, annoyingly, get it really quickly, as I jokingly alluded to in the blog.

A bit late now but...

It was all a bit last minute, but we had another session at SnoZone in Milton Keynes this morning from 10:30 - 12:30. This time we had 4 skibikes on the snow. SnoZone was very cool (pun) about the whole business, so this could become a regular feature. :D
It has also been cleared for Manchester too, but you'll have to bring your own.

Dangerous or not?

Saltyman, well it is a "vigorous activity", although relative to downhill mountain biking it is safer; when you fall, the snow has a cushioning effect and you slide for a bit, so no rapid deceleration into rocks, gravel, etc. as would happen on a wheeled bike.
There are two schools of technique, the old fashioned way is to wear little skis on your feet for extra balance, it is really safe, so much so, that it is used to rehabilitate limbless ex-servicemen. You can do this in Scotland, not so far from home for you.
The modern technique is to ride on the foot pegs with normal outdoor boots, it is more difficult to learn, but opens up the possibility of doing jumps and stunts.
We are desperately short of new riders in the UK, so if you fancy having a go, PM me and I'll send more info.

if i was closer to MK I would have loved to join you . :D

there is a dry slope near me , not sure if it would be allowed .

Always space in the car

cchris2lou, seeing as there seems to be interest, I'll make an effort to give some notice before the next one happens. I'm only a few miles from the Kent border and close to the railway (if you don't drive) there will always be a free place in the car, feel free to tag along.
I asked about using the slope at Chatham a couple of years ago, but they refused. I did spot that there is a dry slope being refurbished at Hailsham, which is due to re-open in December...you can't beat real snow though.
It is worth noting that there are plenty of French resorts close to Geneva where you could come out cheaply on EasyJet and do a two day taster mid-week. :cool:

Back