My 99 Lobo Restoration and build

Dilema time....a shock rebuild is near as damn it £100. I've found a guy in Germany that has two NOS but wants 269 euros each. Massive profiteering because I'm almost certain he got them from Icycles when they were on sale for bugger all.

What to do? I've looked long and hard but cannot find one for sale over the last month or so. This thing is costing some huge money but the alure of new components is hard to resist. It's not really a question of cost but it won't be a pleasurable purchase thats for sure :roll:

I'd push the shock to the back of your list. At least you know where you can get one from. Get everything else up to scratch and if a shock turns up in the meantime great, if not, go see the German later. :)

Have you tried Emailing icycles just to make sure they haven't got one kicking around that they're not bothering to advertise? Maybe they could find more? :)

As above or go for service. Servicing will mean you can get it tuned how ever you want aand should bring it back to new and sometimes better.

The german is selling them for too much.

I've been intouch with everyone including Icycles but nothing.

The service is just that, he pretty much told me if anything is broken or I require revalving it can't be done as there are no parts. Stendtec were the only people out of 4 I contacted that would touch it.

I found this is the 'waybackmachine' from 06-09 at Icycles :

RockShox GT LOBO Coupe Deluxe Shock -- $39.94 -- These RockShox Rear Shocks were original equipment on GT Lobo Down Hill Mountain Bikes! These shocks feature a unique reverse pull design only found on the Lobo. Don't waste time and money trying to rebuild your old shock, at this price just buy a whole new one!

Lol, $39, I remember seeing it while looking for LTS shocks and I almost bought one to profit on.....back to haunt me :p Why didn't I buy a pair of both :twisted:

It is inveitable I will being getting one cos I'm a werido, current shock isn't even broken but I want a new one, I just want new stuff. I'll try to hold out as long as I can, you are right, I should have it done and get this last.

Yeah get it last. Not surspirsed its just a service :(
I would also consider a custom motorbike shop who may be handy with making shock parts :?

Otherwise haggle with the german?

Have you seen the Lobo on ebay? Its £185 at the moment but claims the rear shock is brand new, unused. That being the case, worth buying it for whatever the price, and putting your old one back on that frame and selling.

Hassle, but should get you a new rear shock for a net spend of very little, surprised if it totalled £100 doing this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6901666253

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yea, I spotted that last night but seriously, I'm mental :x Don't encourage me. I'll end up keeping both for spare parts that I'll never need!

I've spent the evening overlaying his pics on my pics because I think its a touch smaller than mine and I wanted a small all along...grr! The height is the same but its at least an inch n half shorter in the top tube, I wanted that stupid short wheel base/big wheels n tyres look. His history shows the new shock was £10.50 LOL :shock:

It is a good idea and I'll probably buy it but I'll then end up refurbing two frames cos I'll convince myself I 'need' the shorter one (and later selling the current one.) Watch this space.. :eek:

DO IT :LOL:

Seriously though, i think it will be better for you.
As long as it doesnt go too high then keep the other for spares or sell it on to cover some costs.

This build gave me the inspiration to join and start mine, thanks! Cant wait to see this finished!

DONE IT :D

Sorry if anyone else wanted it, you cost me a fortune anyway, price got a bit mental :oops:

Maybe about to become a two Lobo build :roll:

Back