Vista vs XP

amt27

Retro Guru
got me a new laptop before Xmas, Sony thing with 1.8 dual core, 1 gb ram and windows vista home premium,

previous PC (desktop) was a 3 ghz (single core) 1.2 gb ram,

it is me or is Vista really slow? windows open and close really slowly, like the system is lazy or something, XP was fast and does what you ask it when you click the mouse,

any opinions on Vista? will adding an extra gig of ram sort it out?

Vista is a pile of **** in my experience, but then microsoft OSs always are until they've been out a while & had all the bugs fixed.

It does seem to be very ram-hungry so yeah another stick can only help.

Ive just moved to vista, I bought a new quad core PC and XP didnt do anything for it. To be honest ive not found anything too bad with it, it has its annoyances, but speed wise its fine.
Vista is a memmory eater, try going for more than 1gb. (tbh id recomend more than 1gb if using XP too)

dont know if its vista but my new vaio shows 80+ running programs where my old xp laptop was normally around 40!

Vista really needs at least 2Gb of RAM to feel reasonably usable. If you're using something like Norton or McAfee you'll get performance hits from those too (something like AVG tends to be much less intrusive and just as good in practice.)

Vista is an example of MS back on their usual form, IMO... extra bloat, lots of new bugs for virtually zero real gain.

Oh yeah - if you have a not-too-hot graphics card you might get better performance turning off all the useless graphical bells and whistles...

microsoft OS are good once they had time to bed and weed bugs out being i personaly will wait for sp1 for it before i take a serious look

ajm":1ppykhm4 said:
Vista really needs at least 2Gb of RAM to feel reasonably usable. If you're using something like Norton or McAfee you'll get performance hits from those too (something like AVG tends to be much less intrusive and just as good in practice.)

Vista is an example of MS back on their usual form, IMO... extra bloat, lots of new bugs for virtually zero real gain.

Oh yeah - if you have a not-too-hot graphics card you might get better performance turning off all the useless graphical bells and whistles...

You def need 2gb for vista, i use xp media centre, just looks a little nicer, vista big and bloated, or try linux, if you dare

Minimum 2BG RAM for Vista if you insist on using it....it's quite snappy on 4GB with a Dual Core, it's just outrageous.... :(

Back