show us your cross bikes

Anyone racing this year?

This is mine.

5405109055_14f7943511_b.jpg

Which serves mostly as a go anywhere commuter. I did one race last year but this year I can make most of the Scottish series. The bike has been ok, at first the freedom to mix up the commute was welcome but a few PITA mechanicals and a relatively neutral/dull ride leaves me wanting something nicer. Still it'll do for a few years certainly until the BTW scheme I got it on ends.

kaiser":baqnspvm said:
a relatively neutral/dull ride leaves me wanting something nicer.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Crikey, that's disappointing! Looks the bizzo too :?

Hope I don't have the same result with this little beauty!
5561526227_03480a3c75_b.jpg

The curse of an alloy frame, I'm being a bit harsh its actually fairly good, just lacks the magic if you know what I mean, the vavavoom, as a tool is been great.

Re: new season

nemo":25i1mjlo said:
I started this thread ages ago, but anyone planning any new build for this season?

New photos of my Fort steel CX machine coming soon - had it powder-coated and rebuilt with a slightly improved spec (the new Miche Primato Aheadset is nice but was a pain in the bum to install) including Race Face Ti BB unit and a Sachs Quarz short-cage rear mech (a real eBay bargain all the way from Australia - even with the postage it was a snip).

David

I should pay more attention to foreign ebay sites, seen a few bargains that way...

But enough of that - we want pics!

Must stop looking at threads with pictures in, I want a cross bike now lol

I like the Ibis bike, the brake hanger is a neat touch

elPedro666":3gf7doct said:
kaiser":3gf7doct said:
a relatively neutral/dull ride leaves me wanting something nicer.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Crikey, that's disappointing! Looks the bizzo too :?

Hope I don't have the same result with this little beauty!
5561526227_03480a3c75_b.jpg

What's the story with the front mech cable route? Does it have a braze-on pulley mount provided (as per my old Edison CX bike) or have you got to either (a) go top-pull or (b) get one of those DMR Mechverter widgets?

David

Same old Fort frame & Sintema forks with a new paint job and slightly souped-up spec;

6116400741_f7a6a990ce_z_d.jpg

Frame: Fort Foco TIG-welded steel, 56cm

Fork: Sintema "Muddy" 1" threadless, carbon with steel steerer

Headset: Miche Primato 1" threadless with blue SRP titanium top cap
Stem: ITM Eclypse 1" A-Head silver, 12cm
Handlebar: ITM Millennium Ergal, 42cm
Bar Tape: Silva cork

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campag Chorus 10sp (alloy levers) for "Shimergo" set-up
Brake Calipers: Modolo Cantilever - 24 years old and still going strong!
Brake Pads: Aztec BRBX dual compound cartridge, and are actually V-brake pads (highly recommend these pads for 'cross)
Brake Cables: Fibrax

Front Derailleur: Sachs New Success clamp-on, double
Rear Derailleur: Sachs Quarz short cage
Derailleur Cables: Fibrax
Cassette: SRAM PG850 13-26
Chain: Union 810 with Sachs Powerlink
Cranks: Middleburn, 175mm long, 110mm BCD spider, square taper, self-extracting Royce titanium crank bolts
Chainrings: 110 BCD 36 (Stronglight)/46 (TA), silver with blue anodized alloy bolts
Bottom Bracket: Race Face titanium 110mm, English thread
Pedals: Time ATAC XS

Rims: Mach 1 CFX silver, 32h, 700c
Hubs: Hope front, Dura-Ace cassette rear
Hub Skewers: Hope copies, blue
Nipples: Mach 1
Spokes: Mach 1
Tyres: Nokian Ravagozzi 700c x 35
Tubes: Trax self-sealing Presta valve

Saddle: Selle San Marco SKN, titanium rails, Union flag finish
Seatpost: Selcof Mod.31, 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Fort

David

retro-rich":wct3miul said:
Must stop looking at threads with pictures in, I want a cross bike now lol

i was thinking the exact same thing, so basically...a cross bike is just a road bike with offroad-ish tyres? or is it a mountain bike with slimmer tyres and drops?

God i'm blagged...its better if i don't know... it will stop me getting one, to fill a gap that i'd never known i had.

Sort of a cross bike, certainly fits into the cross section on the Genesis website, definitely a bit heavy to be a true crosser. I use it as a commuter although I just wish it was a bit lighter, I find the Alfine a little notchy at times and the engagement is not instant with a little free wheel before it engages (can be annoying at lights). Other than that lovely bike in my favourite colour! Quite envious of some of the bikes on this thread but it's got to be discs from now on, hasn't it?

Trevor.

Attachments

• IMG_0190 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0190 (Medium).JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,826
  • IMG_0189 (Medium) (2).JPG
    IMG_0189 (Medium) (2).JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,826
Back