Saracen Trekker '88.

Looks great and will keep any eye on the progress :cool:

Also just reminded myself to get a pic of the rear U brake :D

Twin U brakes are great :LOL:

Bottom bracket replaced! Was a bit stiff but got there in the end.

One weird thing with thsi bike is that the seatpost had been cut off and what was left has been pushed further into the seat tube, so a new seatpost can go in but wont go all the way down unless I cut a couple of inches off the bottom of it which I dont really want to do.

So I have just dropped the frame off to an engineering type bloke in a shed who is going to dry tapping it and pulling it out. Will have to wait and see.

If the post is aluminium you could put a solution of caustic soda in and it will eventually dissolve the part stuck in the frame. Maybe worth a try if your mate has no luck.

What tool did you use for the bottom bracket? Same as a "normal" square taper one? Need to know for when I attack the sahara, or is it one like this?

Attachments

• park-tools-bottom-bracket-lockring-spanner.jpg
    park-tools-bottom-bracket-lockring-spanner.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,815
I have to confess, I took it my newly aquired friendly old bike shop where they have all the tools! They struggled a bit but added some heat and got there in the end without damaging paintwork!

Wasnt going to use the original wheels but I have!!

They have come up a treat with a bit of T-cut. The rear is now 7 speed and quick release, plus all new bearings front and rear.

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,721
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,721
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,721
Got the old seat post out (the man in the shed did) he tapped it and screwed a big bolt into and then pulled it out eventually. It was already split down the length, strange that it got pushed all the way in, I would have thought that once it was split it would have come out ok.

Oh well its out now, my OCD is happy!!

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 992
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 992
Quick mock up. Still need some bits so this it it for now.

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 989
That is looking really nice, great idea on the seatpost as well, that has come out a beauty. I would have been paranoid too knowing it was there and would have got it out somehow.

Wow :shock: the bike is starting to look really good, I reckon at this pace you will have it ready for the Bristol ride next month ;) I could be persueded to bring a bring a Saracen....... :LOL:

Im liking your style with the seized post :cool:

Cheers

GM :cool:

Back